Best email application for ipad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by my_ipad_2011, Jul 23, 2011.

1. my_ipad_2011

my_ipad_2011 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Can any one suggest if what's the best email apps for iPad? That's seems to be similar with outlook? Thanks.
  2. DefBref

DefBref iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    Is the any particular feature that the inbuilt app is missing for you? Personally I find the inbuilt app perfectly usable but I know some power users find it inadequate. Defining your specific features you require will enable a more precise recommendation.
  3. my_ipad_2011

my_ipad_2011 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I cant immediately attached files to it which I usually needs to do. replying or creating still no option for attachment. I do it in other way so I can attach something. I usually convert it to pic so I can attach it as image..
  4. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    If you put your files in Dropbox or similar you can copy and paste links to those files for your email recipients to download.

The Archangel
  5. richsadams

richsadams iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    I agree with the other folks, the native Mail program for iPad is quite good. AFAIK there isn't an app that emulates Outlook (and quite frankly if there was I'd steer far clear of it. ;) )

As Gabriel suggests, Dropbox and Spideroak (both free) are great ways to sync files so you have access to them on your iPad and/or any other computer. You can link to them as well as send links to others via email.

That said sending email attachments on the iPad is quite easy once you understand how to do it. Basically you'll send files directly from the app that you're using rather than having to find them and attach them in Mail. Here are the details...

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-faq/36722-how-email-photos-other-attachments.html

Here's a pretty good "how to" about using Mail on the iPad as well...

How to use the Mail app on the Apple iPad - iPad User Guides - Know Your Mobile

Hope that helps and let us know how things go!
  6. Chuy Hardy

Chuy Hardy iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here is in my opinion the best app for mails, it's mbox pro, I bought it and all I can say is ... THIS APP ROCKS!!!
  7. richsadams

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    Not quite sure which app you're referring to. :confused: mBox for iPad is an option if you have a Windows Live Hotmail account and use Windows Live Contacts. MailPro is another option, again for Hotmail, MSN and Windows Live accounts. If the OP doesn't have a Hotmail account or has more than one account neither would be an option.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  8. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    If you have the third-party app GoodReader that will allow you to attach any number of disparate attachments to an email that will be sent from the iPad's native Mail app - thus all your regular contacts etc are available. Also, if you need to send emails to a group, the app MailShot is recommended by almost all Members - it too interfaces with the iPad's Contacts database and allows you to send an email to any number of users in a group.

Tim
  9. richsadams

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    +1. GoodReader is an excellent, all-around app for many types of documents.

AFAIK all apps that allow you to send emails with file attachments interact with the iPad's Mail app including providing access to the user's Contacts list.
  10. my_ipad_2011

my_ipad_2011 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks I'll try that one.
  11. my_ipad_2011

my_ipad_2011 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks much. I'll try it on dropbox.
  12. westcoastgal

westcoastgal iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think where the current Mail program breaks down is in two key areas: can't do filters and folders like on the desktop, to pre-sort heavy mail volumes, and when replying to a message where I want to keep the thread intact it is challenging (a multi-step process) to include an attachment. I can't just click an "add this" button from inside Mail (iOS) and get on with it.

Also, I find lots of recipients don't use or appreciate Dropbox, and don't want to open an account just to view a simple PDF I'm sending.

That said, I still love the freedom my iPad gives me in my work day.

ea/
  13. richsadams

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    Fully agree with the suggestions for additional features in Mail on the iPad. I suspect after having used Mail in OS X 10.7 Lion (which is terrific BTW) for a couple of months now that some of the features (including the ones you've suggested) will soon find their way into Mail for the iPad. The two operating systems are coming together and it seems only natural.

With respect to Dropbox, there's no need for anyone you want to share a file with to have a Dropbox account at all. All you need to do is use the "Public Folder" and drop or copy the files to that folder. You can create a link and that will allow anyone to access and download the file in question. Here's how:

Dropbox - How do I link to files in my Dropbox? -

Basically it's this...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  14. willywonka

willywonka iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dropbox/Email Question

Is there any way to take an email and put it into Dropbox. I tried the sendtodropbox.com email but the email just goes nowhere. For docs etc Dropbox seems to work great. Thanks
  15. liamjanin

liamjanin iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does the original mail app support showing and creating folders in the popular email services? (gmail, hotmail, etc) These are options that are either lacking or difficult to find.
  16. DefBref

DefBref iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    Setting up as either imap or exchange supports display of folders, not sure it supports creation.
  17. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    The last poster is correct; if you change your email protocol to IMAP then the iPad will reflect exactly the folder structure on your ISP mail server. So you can use Safari and webmail to establish the folder structure that you want and, if you change to IMAP, that folder structure will be replicated on the iPad then next time you use Mail. But you cannot create mail folders locally in the way that you can on a PC, for example, using the iPad's native Mail app.

Tim
  18. manus

manus iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am finding it difficult to use the default mail application with ipad when using it for my office mail (Exchange).

I find no options to indent the text, have numeral list or bulleted list, format the text, etc.

Is there an application which has a rich text editor it will be great to know.

Looking forward to your response.
  19. Nirvana

Nirvana iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I guess I am joining this forum and especially this thread quite late. Yes, there are a few features that are currently not available or not very good in iPad's native email software.

For example, I can't create tables/grid in iPad native emails. This is a very handy tool for a lot of business people
    Also, you can't color the font in different colors
    Moreover, the bullets, especially numbering, is not a feature available in iPad native email software.

Please make suggestions. At least I hope someone at Apple reads this and fix this as an update!!

20. pceresia

pceresia iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Why can't forum users answer the question asked. Clearly the questioner wants functionality similar to Outlook - like a built in email file system capability. If he wanted an non business mail app, "Mail" would have sered his purpose.
    Please folks RTFQ and leave the advertising to Apple this is supposed to be a help forum.