What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best case for the iPad Pro?

Andy847

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure about a fancycases, but I just bought a cheap back cover, to go with the Apple smart cover. It only cost $10.99 on Amazon and it works perfectly, because I can just take off the Smart Cover when I use it for drawing . so the back is protected.Also, so much cheaper than the Apple one.
I just bought the Logitech create keyboard, but I'm returning it to go with the Apple Smart keyboard. It's just more e compact and light. I read the Logitech back lit keyboard eats battery. Plus the Apple one works with my back cover. I don't want to be changing between all these different cases for my needs at the time.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing I can find on the Apple website is something called the "Silicone" cover. Details are pretty sketchy, but it looks like it is only a back cover---so the front would have to remain covered or I would still be stuck with the floppy keyboard. Or am I missing something?
As long as you make sure to check whether or not a case is compatible with the Smart Keyboard, you should have no trouble.

Apple sells a regular Smart Cover for the iPad Pro that's easily detachable when you want to replace it with the Smart Keyboard. An interesting feature of both the Smart Cover and Smart Keyboard is that they're magnetically held against the back of the silicone case when you have it folded behind the iPad. It won't be flopping around when it's open, like earlier smart covers.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As long as you make sure to check whether or not a case is compatible with the Smart Keyboard, you should have no trouble.

Apple sells a regular Smart Cover for the iPad Pro that's easily detachable when you want to replace it with the Smart Keyboard. An interesting feature of both the Smart Cover and Smart Keyboard is that they're magnetically held against the back of the silicone case when you have it folded behind the iPad. It won't be flopping around when it's open, like earlier smart covers.

Yeah, that's a thought: just replace the keyboard with a plain cover and simple protective cover for the back. I think the Apple back cover is clear, isn't it? I'll have a look. Maybe the one Andy847. was talking about? (Thanks, Andy! What is your back cover called? I will have a look.)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a thought: just replace the keyboard with a plain cover and simple protective cover for the back. I think the Apple back cover is clear, isn't it? I'll have a look. Maybe the one Andy847. was talking about? (Thanks, Andy! What is your back cover called? I will have a look.)
The Apple cover comes in white and dark grey.

Andy847

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's still $10.99, good deal compared to $70 that Apple charges. It's not really grippy if that's what you're looking for, but does the job for me. I use this and the smart cover when at home. My zoogue case/stand when I go out, or will go out.
Here is the link on Amazon;
Amazon.com: iPad Pro Case (12.9 Inch), ESR iPad Pro Slim Fit Shell Case [Perfect Match with Smart Keyboard] [Soft TPU Bumper] [Corner Protection] Back Cover for iPad Pro 12.9 inch 2015_Charcoal Gray: Computers & Accessories

Back cover for IPad Pro.jpg

Last edited:

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, all said and done, I decided to by a silicone case and Smart Cover and am very happy with the results. As with other Apple gear I have owned they are well thought out and high quality. The Smart Cover is easy to manipulate and when I need the keyboard I just replace the Smart Cover with it.

Not cheap, of course, but very nice products.

InspectHerGadget

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ignored the price and bought the blue cover and matching case. Overpriced. Definitely.

The thing is everything is exquisitely well thought out and engineered. It hasn't just been slapped together from a blueprint. The magnets to hold the cover against the back when in use, the texture of the covers (lovely feel to it and just perfect) and overall fit and finish.

Well done Apple. Halve the price and no one will complain

johanndn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At the equivalent of 212 US $ I almost bought the apple cover front and back yesterday, as it was advertised at 50% off. Went into store only to be told the discount only applies when also buying a new ipad with it, despite the fact that I even bought the pro at the very same istore.

My argument that surely we should be entitled also to the discount as none of these covers were even available when I bought the pro, fell on deaf ears. Surely there should be some goodwill to us owners who bit the bullet and bought some of the first pro's? Apparently no loyalty from apple's side in this affair...

richjh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought one in 2013 for the 1st iPad Air and I bought on for my 12.9 inch iPad Pro. I love how well made this case is,
Rich
Targus Versavu Classic Rotating Case for iPad Pro & Other 12.9" Tablets (THZ631GL)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're going to quote me, you shouldn't take my words out of context. My full quote, repeated here, was about the screen protector on an iPad Pro case from Amazon and it's compatibility with the Apple Pencil.
I noticed the description on Amazon mentioned nothing about compatibility with the Apple Pencil. If the built in screen protector is too thick it could affect its operation.

It will be less weight and comfortable

Best-9.7-inch-iPad-Pro-Cases-5.jpg

these come with a slot for pencil.

Most reactions

Latest posts