What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best case for the iPad Pro?

richjh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Targus Versavu™ case. I have had this case, which I still use but it is getting very hard to use with my Ancestry page. I should be getting the large pro next week. I bought the Targus Versavu™ for the iPad Pro a few weeks ago.

I have the IPhone 6 Plus which rings circles around the 1st gen Air. If what I see carries over to the iPad Pro I will be one happy camper.
Rich

Reddrob97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be much of a selection of cases for the iPad Pro. What's the best one you've seen so far?

I am so ticked that Apple put out the Ipad Pro 9.7 without offering the smart case! I baby my iPad, and like the front and back protected. It baffles me they have a seperate silicone back piece and seperate smart cover for the new 9.7 pro! Who wants to double charged? Simply retarded! I had a black leather smart case for my old mini 3, and it was perfect! How can they not offer a smart case at launch, for the both pro models in leather? Smh.

V.I.N.CENT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're asking why APPLE would release separate cases? Um... Really simple. Money. They want more of it from you. Why do they make certain iPads that work with the Pencil and NOT include it? Money. Apple is all about maximizing income.

I really like my ZooGue case. I've had 3 cases since I got my iPad Pro 12.9 and the ZooGue is by far the best for me. I did a little tweak on mine to make a Pencil Pocket, so the pencil is fully inside the case rather than hanging out on the side so that it might slide out.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am so ticked that Apple put out the Ipad Pro 9.7 without offering the smart case! I baby my iPad, and like the front and back protected. It baffles me they have a seperate silicone back piece and seperate smart cover for the new 9.7 pro! Who wants to double charged? Simply retarded! I had a black leather smart case for my old mini 3, and it was perfect! How can they not offer a smart case at launch, for the both pro models in leather? Smh.
The reason that Apple doesn't have a Smart Case for the iPad Pro and instead has a separate case and Smart Cover is because or the Smart Keyboard, which acts like a Smart Cover when not in use as a keyboard. If you had a Smart Case on the iPad Pro and wanted to use the Smart Keyboard, you'd have to remove the Smart Case before installing the Keyboard Cover.

With the existing case and removable Smart Cover, all you have to do is pull off the Smart Cover and attach the Smart Keyboard.

Reddrob97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I figured the only reason to sell a seperate front and back cover for the Pro 9.7 is nothing more than pure greed. The same greedy thought process to charge an extra $100 over the standard base $499, for upgrades overdue years ago. Cmon just now going stereo and 32gb standard, not without charging a premium!

Andy847

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got a cheap back cover off of Amazon for like $10.99 and That's for my 12.9" IPP. So I'm sure you can find something for your size. I still had to pay for the SmartCover, but Saved more than half of what I would have payed for both of theirs just by getting the cheaper back cover. Just a thought, and there are plenty of combined covers out on Amazon, Ebay, all over the place. So if you like them together there is a lot of options, even in Leather. May not be the same as the smart cover, but their are some nice leather cases out.

I get po'd too with the prices of Apple, especially other than the Apple Pencil, they are so behind Android it's not funny. They overcharge for items Android has had for a couple years. I know this though, so put up with it. They are no different than other big companies out there, all about greed. No more make the customer happy, the bottom line is $$$$. Just my Opinion. I will say they make a good product though.

I still think the Apple pencil falls short of Samsung's S pen, by one fact. Their stylus Nib is still too thick. I know the design of tip with the rubber tip over it is why it's still so thick, but easier for me when I use the full size Stylus for my Galaxy note 10.1. It's not about making smaller lines, that the app does, but the tip is still a lot thicker on the nib. Just my experience with it. The AP still blows away the S Pen with the ability to shade on the side of the pencil nib though.

Andy847

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use to have the Unicorn Beetle Case, without the Stand,On my Note 4. Great cheaper protection on the same level as the Otterbox was. I looked at this case, but I thought I read they were shipping without the Plastic screen protector on it? I know the first ones had them, but I thought they removed from the newer batches. Could be mistaken, I've looked at so many cases I get lost keeping track of them all. It should be great protection, not sure how stable the stand is though.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Looks like I might want something that doesn't exist, but I thought I would poll the panel of experts anyway, so here goes!

I have the Apple keyboard currently as the face protector on my 12.9" Pro, but the back is bare. The problem is that I don't do a lot of typing and the keyboard cover is unwieldy to open and close (though I love the keyboard when I do use it).

I am looking for a case that is not unwieldy, and I think this precludes cases that fold into a portrait mode stand because the large size would make it floppy to open and close for ordinary use. And I mostly use my iPad in my lap for handwriting. But I would like a case that either integrates with the keyboard when needed---or would be easy to take off and put back on.

Any ideas?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like I might want something that doesn't exist, but I thought I would poll the panel of experts anyway, so here goes!

I have the Apple keyboard currently as the face protector on my 12.9" Pro, but the back is bare. The problem is that I don't do a lot of typing and the keyboard cover is unwieldy to open and close (though I love the keyboard when I do use it).

I am looking for a case that is not unwieldy, and I think this precludes cases that fold into a portrait mode stand because the large size would make it floppy to open and close for ordinary use. And I mostly use my iPad in my lap for handwriting. But I would like a case that either integrates with the keyboard when needed---or would be easy to take off and put back on.

Any ideas?
Have you checked out the official Apple Case for the iPad Pro? It would seem to be what you need. It's surface finish won't slip against your clothing when using it in your lap.

V.I.N.CENT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're not wanting to use it in Portrait and you want a very well made case that's pretty low profile, I FULLY recommend the ZooGue one. It closes up and it's not that thick at all and it can prop at any angle you want on the cover. I use it in my lap to draw on all the time and it's the best one I've found because the cover that's on the face when closed becomes the full base so it's VERY stable. I've had 2 other cases and this one is the last one I plan on buying.

As far as the working with the keyboard, the case comes off very easily so using it to pop in and out isn't a problem bu the connectors are exposed when in the case so it may work that way as well. I use a logitech bluetooth keyboard so I don't have the Apple one but I seldom use it. I really do like this case though. When closed, it feels like a professional legal pad folio, VERY portable.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you checked out the official Apple Case for the iPad Pro? It would seem to be what you need. It's surface finish won't slip against your clothing when using it in your lap.

The only thing I can find on the Apple website is something called the "Silicone" cover. Details are pretty sketchy, but it looks like it is only a back cover---so the front would have to remain covered or I would still be stuck with the floppy keyboard. Or am I missing something?

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you're not wanting to use it in Portrait and you want a very well made case that's pretty low profile, I FULLY recommend the ZooGue one. It closes up and it's not that thick at all and it can prop at any angle you want on the cover. I use it in my lap to draw on all the time and it's the best one I've found because the cover that's on the face when closed becomes the full base so it's VERY stable. I've had 2 other cases and this one is the last one I plan on buying.

As far as the working with the keyboard, the case comes off very easily so using it to pop in and out isn't a problem bu the connectors are exposed when in the case so it may work that way as well. I use a logitech bluetooth keyboard so I don't have the Apple one but I seldom use it. I really do like this case though. When closed, it feels like a professional legal pad folio, VERY portable.

It looks good, but I mainly handwrite in portrait orientation. You said "if you aren't wanting to use it in portrait mode"---. Did this only refer to using its stand? I don't use a stand (though no objection to one being there!). So is there a problem using it in portrait in your lap?

V.I.N.CENT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It doesn't go in to a "kickstand" mode for portrait. It still opens and folds back fine, it just doesn't prop like it does for using in landscape mode. I've found the 12.9 to be very unwieldy in Portrait mode for me anyway. I was thinking you were saying you didn't care if it worked as a Portrait mode. I've only seen a couple that work propping up in portrait mode.
Here's the one I started to buy but it wasn't that great when I tried drawing on it but for notes and stuff it may be great and it rotates. Targus - VersaVu Rotating Case for Apple® iPad® Pro - Black

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It doesn't go in to a "kickstand" mode for portrait. It still opens and folds back fine, it just doesn't prop like it does for using in landscape mode. I've found the 12.9 to be very unwieldy in Portrait mode for me anyway. I was thinking you were saying you didn't care if it worked as a Portrait mode. I've only seen a couple that work propping up in portrait mode.
Here's the one I started to buy but it wasn't that great when I tried drawing on it but for notes and stuff it may be great and it rotates. Targus - VersaVu Rotating Case for Apple® iPad® Pro - Black

No, I usually hold it in my lap---but use portrait mode so as to see a full page of notes at a time. I use handwriting apps such as Goodnotes which show a full (virtual) sheet in the portrait mode. Works nicely on the Pro. I gather you are an artist, so landscape is (I assume) more important for you. Looks like Zoogue might fit my needs. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, maybe I should be a bit more explicit. I don't use that marvelous keyboard very often, but I would like to be able to attach it when I feel the need. Most other times I am handwriting with the stylus in portrait orientation.

I am interested in a high quality jacket for it (maybe real leather) that will either allow me to quickly attach the keyboard when I need it or easily and quickly remove the case before attaching it. I want a good looking case---and will be will be willing to "shuck out the shekels" for one provided it delivers what I want.

Any suggestions in that light?

Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts