What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best case for the iPad Pro?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to the forum. I'm probably getting my IPP next weekend. I've ordered a folio case and a back cover from Amazon already and waiting on a pencil which should arrive later this week. I went with the Procase Folio Case, because of the multi-angle positioning, but really am interested in the Zoogue Case shown a few replies above. To Anyone who has the Zoogue Case, Is it really Bulky?

I ask, because my ideal situation is for something like a back cover with an Apple Smart Cover, just because it's light, the cover comes off, and easier to hold with one hand or just in general. I'm going to be using the tablet for drawing and art, so want something not too bulky. The Zoogue case would be for viewing things on and when taking it out with me, if I choose to for more protection. Thanks. :)

Yes, it's bulkier than I would like. I'm doing a fair amount of drawing with the case on. It doesn't get in the way of the pencil, but it does make the iPad heavier and slightly more awkward.

The trade off is that the bare iPad Pro sometimes feels precarious when being held in one hand and tapping/drawing/typing with the other.

However, allmost all my drawing is done with the iPad on a surface (table, lap, whatever). It may be flat, or slightly propped by one hand (to recuce glare from lights or get a more direct view). In this case the very adjustbable landsape angles of the Zoogue case comes in handy. The pencil holder is also nice for when I tuck the iPad Pro into my bacpack.

That said, the Zoogue case is probably only an interm case for me. I want something lighter, and I want to be able to propoe the iPad in portrait as well as landscape. I've recelty seen a (not yet for sale) case that might fit the bill.

Or maybe I'll just get a light, portable stand that will do the angles I want, put a light, grippable cover on the back, and keep in in a sleeve for protection when traveling.

In summary; I didn't expect to find the perfect solution for me on the first try, or even the second, but the Zoogue is a good enough solution for now; so I can wait for something that sounds enough better to give it a try.

Andy847

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Twerppoet, thanks for the info. I figured the case would be bulky. I'm going to get the smart cover and have a cheaper back that works with it from Amazon. Too much for what Apple was asking just for a back cover. I can just take off the smart cover when I draw. I usually sit in my recliner with my Samsung Original Note 10.1 either on my lap knees raised or on a pillow on my lap. Not enough room on my desk.

Ipad Pro is much larger, so figured one handed drawing would be hard on it. I do have a stand, which I think is similar to what you are talking about that I used a little while with my Note tablet. I'll post a picture to show you, If I remember right, it should do multiple angles. Just liked the fold up design and compactness of it.

Andy847

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually now that I took the stand out, I forgot how useful and good it is. It's made by Arkon and it wasn't that expensive on Amazon. It folds pretty much all angles and in pics I have my Samsung (over 3yrs old, so forgive the worn screen protector and how it looks) 10.1 tablet for which I bought it for. I bought a folio for it later, so didn't use much except for typing with bt keyboard I had. The only position it may be bad in is almost flat, because the flatter at the bottom angles back, the tablet might not go into grooves at front and slip off at too low an angle. Otherwise, I'm not sure how it would work with the much larger IPP and it's extra weight, but i may try it with that and see how it does when I get it. They may have bigger ones for bigger tablets now, so check the manufacturer. Keep in mind the pictures have a silicone gel case on my Note 10.1 and might sit better with the IPP naked or with tpu back only.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures of the stand. Not quite what I am after. I want four point stability, so I can take notes or draw while it is propped at a low angle.

Andy847

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. It's good for viewing, but not for what you stated. Not stable enough and would not hold at flat angle with groove in front. So good luck finding something.

Cebu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I keep keep going back and forth with Apple's setup and the Logitech keyboards. The Logitech is nice if your using it in landscape mode but I find it pain in portrait while reading books or magazines. I guess any case with a built in keyboard is not going to be optimum for portrait viewing.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I keep keep going back and forth with Apple's setup and the Logitech keyboards. The Logitech is nice if your using it in landscape mode but I find it pain in portrait while reading books or magazines. I guess any case with a built in keyboard is not going to be optimum for portrait viewing.
The Apple Smart Keyboard is easily removable if you want to read books and magazines in portrait mode as it's held on magnetically.

Last edited:

V.I.N.CENT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zoogue!!
6bbb34a1f177fd26bb1f8dbba7ca6af8.jpg

f38b8c019e5a8e355ea8e3a17717095f.jpg

49a78c0286831992a1b515f9f78e64ba.jpg

90adaec032f6dfbb3b58bcbedd8f4d07.jpg

Best cases for all Ipads! Screen stays at any angle and wont fall!

--------
Ipad mini 4 & Ipad Pro, pencil
Iggy named Roxy

Thanks for posting this! I was considering getting this one but wondered how good it really was. I've got a simple, slim Tucano case (Tucano Folio iPad PRO 12) and it is good and light and protects the screen and makes it easier to hold and prop but you pretty much only have one functional propping mode for writing/drawing with the pencil, all the way down. It will sort of prop up higher to view but it slips and slides all the time. It DOES have a Pencil loop thought, which is great. The Pencil loop on it is more concealed behind the magnetic "buckle" when it's closed, which I like.

V.I.N.CENT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I posted in one of the other threads, I went ahead and got the ZooGue case and it's really good. It's really not all the bulky in my opinion. It's not much bulkier than the Tucano and it's MUCH less bulky than all the other adjustable cases I've found. It really just feels like a legal pad folio when it's closed. I've had 3 different cases now and the ZooGue is perfect for my needs. The 12.9" iPad Pro is too big to use with one hand no matter what case is on it. It's just too heavy to be comfortable. I've found the most comfortable way to use it is in landscape propping it with the stand doing all the rotating in app. I looked at one of the cases at Best Buy that rotated to make an "easel" both ways but it didn't hold it's position well and it was REALLY bulky.

Everybody has their own preferences but to me, the best combination of protection, portability and functionality that I've been able to find. When I need a keyboard, i got a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard that's really good. I only use it when I'm set up to do email and such. When I'm using it to sketch and do artwork, I typically put the keyboard up.

Andy847

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It will work fine for drawing in most apps, but I have to play Draw Something in Portrait mode, which is why I hesitate. It's not a deal breaker, but just something I have to figure out as the Ipad with being so large and long, doesn't work well in portrait mode when I type or draw on it. Too close to my belly. I may just look for one of those Ipad Pillows for that in the recliner though. I don't want to buy too many things, when one might do for what I need. If any other suggestions, just private message me, I don't want to hijack the thread here. LOL.

V.I.N.CENT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried out the techmatte stand with my iPad Pro "naked" in Portrait and it was surprisingly stable. I would feel comfortable using it that way for an extended period of time. In a case, not so much, but out of case it works really well.

V.I.N.CENT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would be nice if "Draw Something" utilized the split screen API so you could open it side by side with another app and do the "portrait" version as a half screen mode.

Andy847

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I may try that as a cheaper alternative if I have to. I know It's more cost effective. I'm still going to wait a week or a little longer to hear from Zoogue. Also, I tried contacting support for Draw Something, just a typical reply that they'd love to have more people able to use it. Nothing about if they would do anything or not. Not holding my breath. lol.

Most reactions

Latest posts