What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Buy or Apple Store?

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine was purchased at BB, the next town over from where I live. We also have a Target in town too. The Apple store is about a 40 minute drive or so. I had basically my pick of stores. We never get the extended care plans or anything, so it wasn't relevant. We were out and about and near the BB, and got it there as a result.

OP
Nonie3234

Nonie3234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, so I've decided on Best Buy (for the Rewards). What's the best way to get the AppleCare Protection Plan?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay, so I've decided on Best Buy (for the Rewards). What's the best way to get the AppleCare Protection Plan?

When you register your iPad via iTunes, you are given an option to purchase additional services, accessories. But if you missed that screen--easy to do--you can click on this link and it will take you directly to Apple:

Apple - Support - AppleCare - iPad

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got an Open Box model from Best Buy, save about $70 bucks. I still got the extended warranty, just in case. Had connection issues after a few month, took it in, and ended up getting a new one after all. No extra charge : )

pricej636

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do whatever is convenient to you. For tricky warranty stuff and device troubleshooting I always go to an apple store. They more or less rebuilt my macbook pro for free. Excellent customer service.

I would stay away from Best Buy's warranties, but thats just my opinion.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple Store > Best Buy

There are many reasons I'd recommend buying an Apple product from an Apple store.

The staff at Apple are more knowledgeable. You wouldn't believe some of the things I've heard Best Buy employees say. There are also no commissioned sales people at Apple stores, which means that they are not going to pressure you into buying an overpriced extended warranty. Best Buy employees will say just about anything to get you to buy their extended warranty. I am speaking from direct experience. Apple Care will take much better care of you and costs less, and includes non-outsourced over-the-phone tech support at no charge.

As already mentioned above, when you make your purchase at an Apple store, they will open it up with you, activate it, register it, set up your mail, Apple ID, show you how to download, etc. all before leaving the store. Best Buy charges between $59-$119 for this same service through Geek Squad.

Apple stores have a wider selection of OEM iPad accessories, free workshops, and no restocking fees.

Reaction score
Does buying an iPad from BB prevent you from going to an Apple Store for repairs?

Because i bought mine at Three, but when I went to the Apple Store, they still had all the data about when I bought it, etc. and fixed it for free.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Imo, best buys warranty trumps apple care. AC protects against everything but god, water, and gravity. Whereas the BB warranty covers everything

OP
Nonie3234

Nonie3234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just wanted to take a moment and thank all of you for your excellent advice! I have my iPad now! I went to BestBuy, got the 64gb 3G, and (thanks freebirdforever) got the BB warranty.

Now it's syncing.

[...pace...pace...pace...]

Gah! The first sync is always the worst, amirite?

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Nonie3234 said:
I just wanted to take a moment and thank all of you for your excellent advice! I have my iPad now! I went to BestBuy, got the 64gb 3G, and (thanks freebirdforever) got the BB warranty.

Now it's syncing.

[...pace...pace...pace...]

Gah! The first sync is always the worst, amirite?

Cheers m8. I really hope you enjoy your purchase. Thn best buy warranty is a thing if gold inn'it?

Most reactions