What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Book Reader

Jamey K

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is your favorite looking reader? iBook, kindle, or nook?

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Kindle the most for books, Nook for magazines and iBooks rarely. ;-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phine00Del

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my nook for reading. I love the super long battery life and the lack of glare when trying to read. Granted I just got my iPad and I love it but I plan on continuing to use my nook for reading books.

Last edited:

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iBooks - The only downside is their limited collection. I do have the Kindle app and have a couple of books downloaded on it, but would rather read using the iBooks app.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kindle 3. Keeping it after getting my iPad 2 as well as I don't like doing any long-term reading on an LCD screen as my eyes get tired. E-ink is just like paper to my eyes, so I can read for hours with no problem.

Plus the Amazon store has an awesome selection.

I'll get the Kindle app (assuming it doesn't go away after Apples rule change) and use it occasionally when traveling and not wanting to take both the iPad and Kindle with me.

tdmsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the kindle app mostly, but also iBooks. I've tried nook and kobo, but I don't like them as much.

OP
J

Jamey K

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if I want to read books using iBook or the Kindle app. I haven't used either before and I really want to enjoy my first one!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
(1) iBooks for the interface. I always look for books here first.

(2) Kindle for the content (and interface is catching up) New books are often only available here, and I have a large archive of books from before I broke my Kindle.

(3) Stanza for the versatility of book formats. All my older books from my Palm TX days, and the occasional book that needs converting.

OP
J

Jamey K

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you move books to the different readers or do you read from you bought it?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Can you move books to the different readers or do you read from you bought it?

Depends on the reader and the book.

Many of the readers use the standard ePub and PDF formats. If the book has no DRM (copy protection), then you can move it. So, I can move some of my books between say, the Nook, iBooks, or Stanza.

Kindle is currently odd duck out. It has it's own proprietary format, and does not support ePub. It does support PDF, but only on the actual device. So even if you get a Kindle book without DRM, possible, you can't read it in other book readers.

The exception is Stanza, which will/should (not tested) read Amazon's azw format if you rename it to .mobi or .prc. But only the unprotected books. The opposite is also true. You can rename .mobi or .prc files to .azw and read them in the Kindle app (tested with some minor problems several months back). You may not even have to rename them to work on the Kindle device itself. Haven't tested that in over a year.

You get the feeling that Amazon wants to leave a few reasons for buying their Kindle reader?

Most paid for books in any of the stores have DRM. Free books, like the Gutenberg Project books almost always do not. And you can find DRM free books on many other sites, though it takes a bit of looking.

So, not easy yes or no answer. Instead, you get a qualified, sometimes.

Disclaimer: Some details may be out of date, but the overall picture remains true. Things change constantly.

Rambler358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kindle, because I read on a few devices - iPad, phone and PC. And the Kindle store has all the books I want, and I like the interface. Would like to use iBooks, but the iPad is the only Apple device I have.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kindle, because I read on a few devices - iPad, phone and PC.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that!

It's a great feature the way it syncs up your books across devices so I can read on my Kindle 3 at night, for example, and open the same book on my iPad or other device later and it will open to the exact page I left off on the Kindle (or vice versa).

That's a really great feature that I believe is exclusive to the Kindle and Kindle app.

Most reactions

Latest posts