What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best battery maintenance?

Everett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm curious....is it best to let the iPad run "dry" and then recharge it or
just the opposite [charge it as soon as possible]. I've heard conflciting opinions about this.

Best regards,

Everett

Droidmakespwn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't remember where I actually saw it but it was an official website such as motorola that said the best thing is to let run down to about 8-10% then fully charge it. Sorry I can't show you proof as I don't remember but I did see that somewhere. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
E

Everett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't remember where I actually saw it but it was an official website such as motorola that said the best thing is to let run down to about 8-10% then fully charge it. Sorry I can't show you proof as I don't remember but I did see that somewhere. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for that! I've heard similar things. My new iPad seems to be draining quickly and I think I'll let it drop down below 10% and then
recharge it fully. I hope that will improve what appears to be poor battery life in my iPad.

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple recommends a full discharge about once a month. From what I read, what's more important is making sure that you don't expose the iPad to temperature extremes.

According to Apple, the battery should have something like 80% efficiency after 1,000 full charge cycles. Even if you go through a full charge cycle every day (10 hrs of use), that's three years.

Edited to add that the rate of discharge will depend on what you are doing. I find that downloading videos is a battery drainer - I noticed that I would lose a percent every 4 min. when downloading, as compared to about a percent loss every 6 or 7 min when surfing, and about a percent loss every 8 min when watching videos.

Last edited:
Reaction score
How to preserve battery-life in a nutshell (info extracted from Apple and the above linked source):
-Charge regularly. It is better to charge twice 50%, then once 100%
-Charge only to ~95%. The last 5% don't extent the battery life much, but cost performance in the long run.
-Charge only, when the iPad is not heavily used, I.e. not while gaming. This helps for more accurate battery level reading&charging

Most reactions

Latest posts