What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best apps for working with PDF, Excel and Word files?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agi2002 said:
Downloaded the quick office And it doesn't work for what I need it for. I uploaded an excel document I need for work and most of the formulas didn't pull through. Not sure if it's because it's a long formula it didn't pull through? Not sure, but I emailed apple and tried to see if they would refund it and they stated it I had to take it up with the developer. Sucks!

I would write back to them again, you didn't buy it from the developer, you bought it from Apple, they took your money so they should refund you if it doesn't do what it says it will do.

The Archangel

Georgemera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agi2002 said:
Downloaded the quick office And it doesn't work for what I need it for. I uploaded an excel document I need for work and most of the formulas didn't pull through. Not sure if it's because it's a long formula it didn't pull through? Not sure, but I emailed apple and tried to see if they would refund it and they stated it I had to take it up with the developer. Sucks!

I would write back to them again, you didn't buy it from the developer, you bought it from Apple, they took your money so they should refund you if it doesn't do what it says it will do.

The Archangel

I have the same problem, I had bought docs to go, quick office, office 2 hd and none of them works with the excel formulas completely, but I can say the best one to do better is Docs to go, It gives you more options to handle documents.

I hope I could get my money back, but that's another story.

George

Last edited:

Cidolfus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, what about powerpoint files? Any app recommendations that allows me to edit powerpoint files in an easy/intuitive manner?

Ukamandah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cidolfus said:
Hi guys, what about powerpoint files? Any app recommendations that allows me to edit powerpoint files in an easy/intuitive manner?

I am studying online open books in iBooks and the pictures don't down load any apps I could use?.. Studying fitness so need see diagrams

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Essentially, after much trial and error and despite wanting to believe that the iPad could be a viable business tool, I have admitted defeat and gone back to using a laptop, with windows, for all business purposes. I think the viable business tablet will come eventually. But I think those of us who bought iPads for anything more than media consumption, simple emailing and web surfing have suffered the standard early adopter blues.

Until a fully Microsoft Office implementation for iPad, a browser for iPad that can handle Microsoft on line document applications or a real equivalent is available the iPad is just a large screen smart phone, but without the phone capability.

Mind you I have yet to see an alternative tablet that solves all the problems to make it truly business viable.

TonyR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyway, I think the point was that at a push it can be done and actually I would be happy to try again although preferably with some planning.

Which makes my point. There are lots of things you can do at a push with many things but that doesn't mean they are suitable for doing it every day. If you fight hard you can make an iPad do some business tasks at a push but there are many things it cannot do period. Which makes it an OK tool for emails and some surfing, a great tool for music, movies, books and games, and a poor tool for most business uses. IMO, YMMV. Which is a great shame as in principal it could make a very good business tool with the right software.

BabaIkram

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well being a new member but with some experience using iPad. I will suggest that Cloudon has the best functionality in handling Microsoft office documents especially words and excels. It is almost like using native Microsoft words on computers. How do you use Cloudon. Register for online storage facilities like dropbox, box etc and get their iTunes apps on your iPad. Download Cloudon and register with Cloudon. Cloudon will in turn incorporate all your online storage facilities under itself i.e. you can open all your documents in Dropbox, box etc in Cloudon and you can then make use of its full functionality. I do this everyday. I have hardly used my laptop ever since .

zenonp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Pages but much prefer Office HD and use it in conjunction with Dropbox (I move all my files with Dropbox, never in Itunes-many apps work with Dropbox). Goodreader is terrific and also works nicely with Dropbox. Others like Docs to Go but I don't have any experience with it.

Diane B

I agree: My two essential Apps are Goodreader and Dropbox, neither of which allows editing. Working with MS files is not as straightforward as the ads say. I have to reformat after working on Word files and uploading them back to my desktop. Don't know Office HD but may try it on Diane B's recommendation.

BabaIkram

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cloudon handles MS word, excel and PowerPoint far better than all the other common apps. Remember you have to open your online storage apps from the Cloudon to get this functionality

senthildent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cloudon is just simply amazing, the point is you should be connected to the net all the time to effectively use the app

zenonp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You will find that the positive comments on writing documents or slide presentations all come from people who just work with plain text. As soon as you try to format a document (say with different levels of headers) or presentation for use on MS software or to modify Word or Powerpoint presentations you will run into serious incompatibilities. My Powerpoint presentations become a mess when read by Apple Apps. Also the question you raise about getting files in and out of iPad is another place where Apple's marketing decisions took priority over common sense. Apple Apps are unlike any programs on a desk computer. There is no such thing as "the memory" into which you file your stuff. Files live with the software that created them or, if it was created by an Apple App, with another Apple App -- presumably in order to make you buy all Apple software. Luckily there are some third party Apps that can help you work around these design limitations -- Goodreader and Dropbox are among the best. But its sad to have to work around the most basic functionality of software -- communicating among processes.

alsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try the iWork. for many reasons it's a very good app

Most reactions

Latest posts