Best apps for working with PDF, Excel and Word files?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by djpritchard, Apr 8, 2010.

1. DM51

DM51
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Great question!! It's good to know I'm not the only one driven mad by names which don't have any obvious meaning and which nobody ever bothers to explain. "Dropdav" falls into the same category as POP, LAN and other idiotic and infuriatingly obscure acronyms [​IMG].

It isn't too difficult to guess what "Dropbox" is, as it is a sensible name. But "Dropdav"? How is anyone supposed to work out what that is? I mean, what could "DAV" possibly stand for?

It can't be because it was invented by someone called Dave, or it would be called "DropDave". Except he would almost certainly have called it something less derogatory to himself, such as "Dave's Plunger", or "Plonker". However, those don't quite roll off the tongue in a way likely to lead to record-breaking sales of the product.

Perhaps instead it was invented by someone who had a major disagreement with a work colleague called Dave, but he couldn't spell properly so instead of dropping Dave from his team, he dropped Dav. That doesn't really sound too likely, and why name your product after someone you've had a fight with, unless the product is obviously no good? "FireDave" might have worked, though...

But let's assume it has nothing to do with anyone called Dave. What then could it be? The "Drop" part of it is obvious, but what about "Dav"? What could it stand for? I have no idea, but some possibilities which might fit are:

Definitely ain't vapor
    Dumb a$$ version
    Digesting awkward vegetables
    Disorder and violence
    Disappointingly abstruse verbiage
    Disorganised and vague
    Dukes and Viscounts
    Debauchery and vice
    Drown all villains
    Dump and vanish

However, those don't quite have the ring of true authenticity, let alone the diamond-like brilliance of a truly inspired name.

Anyone else want to take a shot at it?

2. Deggy

Deggy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I agree Office2HD is very good and my tool of choice.

3. markbnh1

markbnh1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    So, after all that, what is it ????

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

4. DM51

DM51
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I have no idea, LOL.

5. DLCrouch

DLCrouch
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    If you really want to know what DAV is, google WebDAV or look it up on Wikipedia.

6. ASunners

ASunners
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    DAV = distributed authoring and versioning. It is a protocol to allow remote access to files via the Internet.

7. Batpad

Batpad
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Without making this into something it isn't, blessing you with a degree of commonsense, if you don't know what Dropdav (dropdav.com) is, look it up. If you don't like it or don't want it, don't do it. This is the way you learn.

Sent from my iPad using iPF - The only stupid question is the one you don't ask

8. mobi1

mobi1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    For PDF, I found iBook [free] quite good.

For viewing DOC?/XLS?, most file managers (Dropbox, Goaruna etc.) will work fine.

However, I'm personally searching for a good Word/Excel editor.

My shortlisted ones are - Pages/Number (too pricey) and Quick Office.

Office 2 HD seems cheapest but review not very encouraging. Doc2Go has mixed reviews.

Wish Apple gave some discount for buying Pages + Number combination :eek:.

9. 4phun

4phun
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I use Pages as it is fast and you can paste copied graphics from the iPad clipboard directly into Pages. If you are sharp there is a lot more that you can do with Pages that justify taking the time to learn the product. I email a Pages generated PDF to others or upload the native file to DropBox using email to DropBox.

I do not care to export to WORD as WORD does not understand the advanced page composition you can do in Pages, particularly the use of the use of the Pages MASK command with layered graphics.

For PDF the best tool is iAnnotate especially if you use colored bookmarks for rapid document navigation. The search PDF feature is a strong productivity tool in iAnnotate. Last open any Microsoft document in iAnnotate and it converts it to a PDF. Everyone knows iAnnotae can be used to convert web pages to a PDF and that six PDFs can be open at the same time in tabbed windows.

The best note taking app that produces PDFs is Notability which was enhanced yesterday. There is a hidden option in Notability in the volume slider called TUNE. That opens a popup window that allows you to really punch up the audio in your notes with a ton of options. Also the current version allows you to hide screen tool bars for a clean note taking interface. Notability and iAnnotate work best if you kill other memory intensive apps lingering in the background.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

10. Luvntravln

Luvntravln
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    This deserves a second vote!!

All you have to do is Google Dropdav account instead of asking and complaining.