What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best app for PC remote desktop?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suspect most Forum members will only be able to report on the one they actually use and won't be able to provide a comparison - certainly that's my case.

I use GoToMyPC. The iPad app is free, but you pay for the service. There are, I know, a number of completely free apps in the App Store but they seem to either only work on a local network or require a PhD in Computer Science to set up.

GoToMyPC gives you access to your PC desktop from anywhere in the world, so not restricted to your local network and there are also clients for regular PCs and not just the iPad. The developer has a lot of support tools and documentation available at their web site, so it might be worth checking to see if it meets your specific requirements.

I hope you find what you are looking for

Tim
Scotland

pkmusic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried Logmein and it's awesome. You don't have to be on the same network and the app now has file manager in which you can access all your pc files and move to iPad or cloud services. I love it. It's expensive but worth it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

SYS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might want to take a look at iTeleport. It looks very promising. I use Splashtop because it's a lot cheaper and I don't really need at this point to go out of my local network.

Parystec

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if this will help but. Just released the latest version of VNC Pocket Office v4.1.3 on the iPhone and iPad 2.

The fastest, most configurable, most versatile Remote desktop VNC app available.Full screen view. Incorporates features like WOL & Bonjour. Full inbuilt HELP & setup guide + links to Video tutorials.

Connect to Mac, PC or Linex using or running:

-Mac OX Screen sharing
-RealVNC
-UltraVNC ( recommended )
-TightVNC
-Vine ( Mac )
- Screen sharing (Mac)

FEATURES:-

☞ Can store up to 100 connection setups.
☞ Auto connect option..
☞ Live+ and Icon+ modes for magnification box
☞ On screen Joypad option.
☞ Option menu screen upgrade
☞ AMX Compatibility under VNC connection.
☞ Optional save state per connection.
☞ Screen functions retained in session when re-connecting
☞ Software screen lock.
☞ 3D Cube interface.
☞ Bonjour discovery for fast easy connection.
☞ Built in Help, setup & advanced support features.
☞ Supports any screen size including multi screens ( Dependent on device memory size )
☞ Compatible server scaling for ultra-fast response with compatible VNC servers.
☞ Virtual mouse or touch gestures for precise control. Including drag/drop & all 3 mouse buttons.
☞ Mini map feature for fast movement over large or magnified screens now with size adjustment for the iPad.
☞ Wake up On Lan settings.
☞ Built in multi keyboards options for Mac & PC.
☞ 8 Built in Encoding options.
☞ Sticky keys for 3D game control.
☞ Full control over connection settings; encoding, colour resolution, server scaling etc.

WHAT'S NEW IN 4.1.2

-Minor code correction to magnify in server views over 2048 2048 and keyboard initialisation error corrected.
-More user suggestions added.....
-A range of preset scaling.
-Magnification box for precise cursor placement
-Enhanced screen lock .
-Main option menu update.
-Server scaling changes from main option menu.
-Smaller memory footprint.

Rodent emulation :-

Left or right mouse click or scroll wheel using virtual mouse, or by single double or triple touch control. Signal touch to move the mouse to that point on the screen.

Two finger pinch/stretch

SPEED

The fastest VNC viewer using inbuilt game derived technology. Can even view video from host over WiFi at 15> frames per second.

See video at YouTube - VNC Pocket Office v3.1 video stream speed test for the iPhone iPad

Fast connection setup over Bonjour.

See video VNC for iPhone VNC Pocket Office iPhone VNC software development

iPhone 4 gets VNC Pocket Office 4 Pro All the features of VNC Pocket Office plus a new graphics 3D cube interface And more, the fastest VNC viewer on the iPhone 4 YouTube - VNC Pocket Office 4 Pro video stream speed test for the iPhone 4

Update see what Apple Amsterdam had to say about VNC Pocket Office Pro

"We were looking for a VNC client to manage servers and AMX touch screens controlling our presentation environment in our Apple Briefing Centre in Amsterdam. I have (bought and) tested several apps and this one does it all in one on such a level that we can hand out iPads to users in that specific room to control their presentation from iPad.
The fact that it nicely scales the AMX screen to full-size and auto connects to the right source (if prepared in the setting) makes it even more usable than the AMX screen itself. For touch screen you need a direct relation to the scaled position of the finger WITHOUT a virtual mouse, some other apps try and solve this with a moving-dot you have to manipulate or have a permanent mouse area in the screen, but this app simply responds the way you expect it to do. The fact that you can set a device to automatically connect makes it that we preprogrammed 2 iPads to replace the AMX screens in the presentation rooms. Is everything perfect in this app..? well i would say yes for our regular user, i had a little confusion on the setup user-interface essentially consists of 3 parts, help screen that took me a while to get off my screen... but when i found the button it was gone. Then there is the setup panel for screen and mouse that pops up wen you do a 3 finger tap that has some unconventional UI elements like arrow op and down on 2 sides of an choice but there is no way you can see what the arrows will do, a radio button would be more familiar and convenient here. And then there is a list of connections with settings for every connection related to the connection that is the best of all setting UI elements and fairly logic for all the nerdy settings that are involved here.
Since you setup the connection settings just once it takes some time to find the right buttons in the right place.. but once the app has been setup it does an absolutely great job. Since for me it is the result that counts i still give the app a 5 star rating.
It serves my purpose 100% and the developer is very supportive on his app. My users are happy so i am too !"

Thanks for your support.

Bram Elderman

Sr. Systems Engineer
Apple

More updates :-

Still using UltraVNC; Parys Technografx (VNC Pocket office Pro) in collaboration with SingleClick Systems have developed a new VNC product "SingleClick CONNECT" that utilises server side setup and connect functions which removes any problems setting up your VNC connection to your home or office. ( A singleclick account required and a PC).
Goto SingleClick CONNECT powered by VNC Pocket Office for more details.

Bibifrine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Teamviewer

I am using Teamviewer which was so far the only one which found a way through our Proxiserver at work.
And what is most important, it is fast

SYS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still using UltraVNC; Parys Technografx (VNC Pocket office Pro) in collaboration with SingleClick Systems have developed a new VNC product "SingleClick CONNECT" that utilises server side setup and connect functions which removes any problems setting up your VNC connection to your home or office. ( A singleclick account required and a PC).

Excuse my ignorance, but do I just need to go to iTunes Store and purchase the SingleClick Connect app and be able to remotely connect to my PC anywhere around the world? Or do I need to set something else up in order for the SingleClick Connect to work? I'm just not sure what makes the SingleClick different from other similar apps out there...

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Excuse my ignorance, but do I just need to go to iTunes Store and purchase the SingleClick Connect app and be able to remotely connect to my PC anywhere around the world? Or do I need to set something else up in order for the SingleClick Connect to work? I'm just not sure what makes the SingleClick different from other similar apps out there...

Single Click requires an app on your iPad and a program to be running on the PC that you want to contact. In that sense it's no different from any of the other remote desktop apps that are out there. The program that runs on your PC can be downloaded from the Developer's website directly from your PC and installed there. That part is free. You only pay for the app on your iPad

Tim
Scotland

Parystec

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You will need to goto singleclick CONNECT web site and download the software for your PC which is free run that on your PC with your user name and password, run the app on your iPad/iPhone enter your user name and password and off you go. ;)

SingleClick Systems

SYS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You will need to goto singleclick CONNECT web site and download the software for your PC which is free run that on your PC with your user name and password, run the app on your iPad/iPhone enter your user name and password and off you go. ;)

SingleClick Systems

You mean I don't have to mess with the setting up of port forwarding and all that for remote access from out of my network? I'm a newbie when it comes to such tech stuff, and if it's as easy as you say, then this would be the app to go for all those like me.

Parystec

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. RThis is the advantage with SingleClick CONNECT is the setup is all done all you have to do is install the programme on your PC and buy the app for your iPad/iPhone.

For more info goto :-
SingleClick Systems

SYS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. RThis is the advantage with SingleClick CONNECT is the setup is all done all you have to do is install the programme on your PC and buy the app for your iPad/iPhone.

For more info goto :-
SingleClick Systems

Well, I did go to your linked website, but it's too bad that all your video demos are not real demos but more like advertisements. This product looks really good, but I'd rather wait until more user reviews get posted...

Skip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Teamviewer and Wyse are my two choices. Both are very fast and work through my company firewall. Keep in mind you only need the free edition of teamviewer unless you are using it for commercial use.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts