What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best APP for Home Security?

SYS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Summer is just around the corner, and it's time to plan on vacations away from home. How about recommending the best apps for home security? Something that doesn't require buying a bunch of security cameras in order for the app to work. Something like motion sensing or using a laptop's built in camera, etc. Thanks!

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have five IP cams positioned in different places to check in on my cats and see what the weather is like at home when I'm away at work (I live 1.5 hours north of work and I'm on duty 24-48 hours at a time with 3-4 days off in between shifts). They're all HTTPS servers accessible via an encrypted and password protected URL on any browser. I use an app called Live Cams HD (also a similar one on my EVO 4G) that allows me to plug in the info for any type of IP cam or web cam view. As many cams as I like with controls for my cams. It gives a tiled view and I can click on one of the tiles for a full screen view. One of my cams is pointed out through one of my two large living room windows looking out at the deck and the canyon beyond. Good for seeing what the snow level is like (my house is at 3,600'), which indicates to me when and where I'll probably have to put chains on when I'm heading home from the valley.

Of course, I live in the mountains on an isolated street with 8 or 9 other houses and close neighbors. Everyone knows everyone well and we keep an eye out for each other here. One of my neighbors is a weather freak and he has a rooftop cam for Weatherbug. I tapped into that as well because it's a view of my house and my other neighbour's house, both across the street. Plus I get his weather info right in the view as well. :)

Watching my cats play in the living room or sleeping on their beds is always nice to see when I'm away from home. I remember one time seeing what I thought was one of the cats standing under one cam pointed from the ceiling. Not possible, I thought, unless.....she was standing on the OPEN FREEZER DOOR! That was the year the seal on my freezer gave out and, wouldn't you know, it was during SUMMER. Seeing that prompted me to hurry back home as soon as my shift was over (instead of the usual few hours it takes running my errands along the way) to rescue the frozen goods. I eventually had to put a piece of wide tape around the freezer door corner to keep it from popping open so easily until I got a new fridge.

Another time I would come home from work and see a throw blanket in the middle of the kitchen floor. I put it back where it belonged (on the guest bed). Again, I'd come home and see it in the living room. I was sure one of my cats was dragging it around. But WHO? That prompted me to position a full motion pan/tilt cam where I could see both floors on command. While away at work, I'd check in and, sure enough, I catch the culprit, blankie in mouth, dragging it to a spot, then dropping it and curling up on it. I got her a really nice bed and put it in the living room, which she took to right away and hasn't repeated the blanket-dragging bit since. I think that's what she was trying to tell me.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That sounds a cool setup, Mtnmedic. Was it a lot of $$ to get it up and running?

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DM51 said:
That sounds a cool setup, Mtnmedic. Was it a lot of $$ to get it up and running?

Not really, no. The cams are wireless, so they can be set up anywhere. $70 each. Any good wireless router capable if port forwarding will do the job.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
S

SYS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I'd love to set up a more elaborate security system, for now I'm looking for a very simple (even crude!) means of setting one up. The only "camera" I have at home is the built-in webcam on my Hitachi netbook. I just want to be able to use this to "monitor" just the livingroom where I'll face the netbook at. Does anyone know how I can achieve just with this and my iPad 2?

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SYS said:
While I'd love to set up a more elaborate security system, for now I'm looking for a very simple (even crude!) means of setting one up. The only "camera" I have at home is the built-in webcam on my Hitachi netbook. I just want to be able to use this to "monitor" just the livingroom where I'll face the netbook at. Does anyone know how I can achieve just with this and my iPad 2?

At the iPad end, it's easy. Get a good webcam app (I strongly recommend Live Cams HD as it supports MANY camera protocols, very customizable and easy to use- you can monitor any cam you like, several at a time, be it your own private cams or web page cams) Setting up a view from your laptop may require VZN or port forwarding. Not sure how that works from a laptop cam. With a separate IP cam, it's easy because the cam has a built-in server that's easy to Identify and set up with. Basically in the end you'll have an IP address or URL address to that view, which you can enter into the app.

OP
S

SYS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Mtnmedic, for your helpful response. If I decide to go with a multiple set of cams to work with Live Cam HD, do you have any recommendation for something cheap but decent?

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SYS said:
Thanks, Mtnmedic, for your helpful response. If I decide to go with a multiple set of cams to work with Live Cam HD, do you have any recommendation for something cheap but decent?

Airlink 101 cams are. I use them. The price I paid was a few years ago. But really, cams are commodity items now so if you look through the net, you should find all kinds of decent stuff for cheap. Wireless is great because you don't have to worry about positioning the cam with respect to the router and a long cable. If you are near a Fry's Electronics, go in there and check out some cams.

OP
S

SYS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SYS said:

Airlink 101 cams are. I use them. The price I paid was a few years ago. But really, cams are commodity items now so if you look through the net, you should find all kinds of decent stuff for cheap. Wireless is great because you don't have to worry about positioning the cam with respect to the router and a long cable. If you are near a Fry's Electronics, go in there and check out some cams.

Thanks! I think I'll take a look at my local Sam's Club. Should be cheaper there.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SYS said:
Thanks! I think I'll take a look at my local Sam's Club. Should be cheaper there.

Not really, no. I have a Sam's nearby too. I've found Fry's is often cheaper and has a much larger selection when it comes to specialty items like IP cams, though Sam's may have good deals on home video monitoring system kits. But you may not have a Fry's nearby.

OP
S

SYS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SYS said:

Not really, no. I have a Sam's nearby too. I've found Fry's is often cheaper and has a much larger selection when it comes to specialty items like IP cams, though Sam's may have good deals on home video monitoring system kits. But you may not have a Fry's nearby.

Yep, I just found that out. Guess I'll just have to go online shopping.

FrankP99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mtnmedic;167094The cams are wireless said:
What kind of camera are you using? Where did you buy them for $70. Thanks for this and the other info you provided.

Frank

Most reactions