What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best app for excel

green28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I've looked through here a bit and keep seeing the numbers app mentioned quite a lot. Is that the go to app for using excel or is there a better option? I guess same goes for Pages and Keynote as those are the two I see for Word and PP documents. Mainly looking for something compatible with excel for right now but will eventually use the other two.

Sent from my iPad using iPF. iPad 32GB - iPhone 4 16GB

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A very brief summary of the top three apps/suites.

iWorks (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) offer the most flexibility and ease of use for creating documents on the iPad. Office compatibility is ok, but not outstanding.

Documents to Go (Docs 2 Go) offers the best Office compatibility, but nothing on the iPad is perfect.

QuickOffice HD, more compatible than iWorks but slightly less then Docs 2 Go. Some people prefer how it works over Docs 2 Go.

All can be used with the popular DropBox service, but the iWorks app need an additional account with DropDAV; free if the DropBox account is free.

Disclaimer: I only have direct experience with the iWorks apps. Everything else is my general impression from reading the many discussions on this forum and a few comparison articles and/or blogs elsewhere. Also, the two Office apps are constantly improving, and have a tendency to leapfrog each other with various features.

OP
G

green28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, seeing mixed reviews on all three options but at least gives me something else to search for on here to read up on. Guess I'll just have to read up and choose one.

Sent from my iPad using iPF. iPad 32GB - iPhone 4 16GB

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The mixed review are mostly by people who bought the apps expecting them to be full desktop Office suites, and are complaining about the one or two features they can't live without. Since there are no full featured apps available, you're not going to find any great reviews. In the few cases you can find an Office suite with great reviews, you'll notice that no more than dozen or so people have reviewed it. Not very encouraging. I'd leave those to the bloggers and magazine sites to review before I spent my own money. Or at least someone I knew and trusted.

The remainder of complaints are for bugs and crashes. Pay attention to those, but hold in mind that the developers for both Docs 2 Go and QuickOffice have been very responsive to their users to date.

Pages gets better reviews, but the people who get it are usually expecting a more Apple product, not an Office clone, and that is what they get. That's not to say they don't want more features. :)

tadmore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
A very brief summary of the top three apps/suites.

iWorks (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) offer the most flexibility and ease of use for creating documents on the iPad. Office compatibility is ok, but not outstanding.

There is also Sheets2 HD. It can handle mergad cells but not pasted graphics or dropdown menus.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
i love the Sheets2/Office2 HD excel compatibility (same softwares) except you cant see the live typing happening in the cells as you're typing it - you must type it in the press 'done' for it to appear when finished.

johnsonrc5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excel App that expands groups?

Is anyone aware of an excel viewer or editor that allows you to expand groupings? i.e. click on the + sign to make rows or columns visible?

thanks!

tadmore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
i love the Sheets2/Office2 HD excel compatibility (same softwares) except you cant see the live typing happening in the cells as you're typing it - you must type it in the press 'done' for it to appear when finished.

It is also annoying in that it dosn't over-write existing data in a cell when updating the cell. You have to delete first.

Most reactions