What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bes iPad Word Processor?

iPad 2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm currently using Pages and it seems to be doing the trick just fine, if only letting itself down in being a little laggy, but are there any more comprehensive alternatives available?

Naturally, the areas that Pages comes up short are the absence of footnotes, word counts etc and I'm currently having an issue with teaching it not to auto-correct the word "as" to "A's".

Also, does anyone know whether there's something similar to this [shill link deleted - DM51] case coming out for the iPad 2?

Last edited by a moderator:

Russells iPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Someone in class today said about docs-to-go? But I've never used it... I use pages and it works perfectly for what I need... Anyone use docs-to-go? Worth the price? Better than pages?

Sent from my ipatch using IPF

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use Quick Office Connect HD for iPad. The price was good ($15) and integrates very nicely with online storage services like Dropbox, etc. I spent a lot of time comparing it with others and settled on it for a variety of reasons.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 said:
I'm currently using Pages and it seems to be doing the trick just fine, if only letting itself down in being a little laggy, but are there any more comprehensive alternatives available?

Naturally, the areas that Pages comes up short are the absence of footnotes, word counts etc and I'm currently having an issue with teaching it not to auto-correct the word "as" to "A's".

Also, does anyone know whether there's something similar to this bluetooth iPad keyboard case coming out for the iPad 2?

Yeah it's also annoying if you want to say introductory and then the suggestion from the iPad is introduce. Aaaaaaaaah, why can't they give more suggestions instead of one?

Russells iPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
biobunny said:
Yeah it's also annoying if you want to say introductory and then the suggestion from the iPad is introduce. Aaaaaaaaah, why can't they give more suggestions instead of one?

Yeah auto-correction can be a pain in the arse sometimes! Just gotta hit that tiny little cross before it auto-corrects boys! Need too speed up with your iPad typing skills lol

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Russells iPad said:
Yeah auto-correction can be a pain in the arse sometimes! Just gotta hit that tiny little cross before it auto-corrects boys! Need too speed up with your iPad typing skills lol

Yeah...ditto on that. Sometimes I just gotta say "hell" when I really need to but it comes out "he'll"! FORTUNATELY...the Apple wireless keyboard lets me do just that. For some reason, auto-caps, auto correct, etc doesn't fully work with it. Fine by me. Not much different than me using a keyboard with my PC. I do find the auto-correct useful with the on-screen keyboard...at times, especially in portrait mode and since my fingers are the size of jackhammers.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Russells iPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mtnmedic said:
Yeah...ditto on that. Sometimes I just gotta say "hell" when I really need to but it comes out "he'll"! FORTUNATELY...the Apple wireless keyboard lets me do just that. For some reason, auto-caps, auto correct, etc doesn't fully work with it. Fine by me. Not much different than me using a keyboard with my PC. I do find the auto-correct useful with the on-screen keyboard...at times, especially in portrait mode and since my fingers are the size of jackhammers.

Lol! Jackhammers.. But I defiantly think that tiny cross could've been made a tad bigger..

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just turn off the auto-correction in Settings >> General >> Keyboard. I find the mistakes it causes more annoying than the ones I make myself.

You can still spell check in Pages. With a document open go to Settings (under the wrench icon) and make sure Check Spelling is on. Misspelled words will be underlined in red, but not auto-corrected. Tap on them for suggestions.

It is too bad that the system settings won't allow you to leave Spell Checking on when you turn off Auto-Correct.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I just turn off the auto-correction in Settings >> General >> Keyboard. I find the mistakes it causes more annoying than the ones I make myself.

You can still spell check in Pages. With a document open go to Settings (under the wrench icon) and make sure Check Spelling is on. Misspelled words will be underlined in red, but not auto-corrected. Tap on them for suggestions.

It is too bad that the system settings won't allow you to leave Spell Checking on when you turn off Auto-Correct.

I vote for pages, even though I don't have it.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
biobunny said:
I vote for pages, even though I don't have it.

How can you vote for something you've not even used? That's like me doing a big review on the Galaxy Tab but I've never had one in my hand, much less used it for a couple of days.

jlkohel911

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 said:

Also, does anyone know whether there's something similar to this bluetooth iPad keyboard case coming out for the iPad 2?

Zaggmate makes a real nice case/bluetooth kb combo for the ipad 1. They're scheduled to release it for the iPad 2 on April 8th. I can't wait!

Phine00Del

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got documents to go premium (the premium version allows you to edit PowerPoint files). I've only used the word processor so far but I like it. I set up dropbox and google docs on it without any trouble. I've never used pages but considered buying it. I went with documents to go bc it was much cheaper than getting pages keynote and the apple spreadsheet app. I liked that documents to go had all three and a PDF viewer in it.

glrichard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Better than Google docs?

I'm a writer, but I do most of my heavy writing on my Macbook Air. But I write lectures and take notes in meetings on my iPad. Right now I'm using Google Docs to edit documents. I use Dropbox and Evernote, but I like the simplicity of GDocs.

That being said, I know it's not the best or most thorough when it comes to grammar, spell check, etc. Has anyone used it and one of the aforementioned iPad word processing apps? I use Quick Office on my phone and I was thinking of getting the iPad version.

Most reactions