What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Before you rush out and get a Xoom...

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since it appeared, through successive generations of redesigns (e.g. iPod Nano), the iPod still remains overall the dominant device in its market.
But it isn't just the device alone that makes iPods so successful. Apple offers the device AND also provides the major source of content. Like many others, I have some issues with the functionality of iTunes, but it provides a constant revenue stream for Apple and that is at the core (no pun intended) of their success.

Before I bought my first iPod many many years ago, I used to buy MP3's from Wal-Mart's web site, but I don' know if they even offer that any more. Their only other real competitor in terms of music is Amazon. Once in a while there is something really obscure that is only available in a digital format from Amazon, but for the most part, iTunes rules the music market.

As a side note (and totally off topic), that is what is so surprising that these roles are exactly reversed when it comes to books. If Apple and Amazon would ever collaborate (which won't ever happen), they would completely be in control of content.

[/rant] OFF
How about the "Triple A" Adobe, Amazon and Apple!:D

mrphil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thekarens said:
Seriously? Ios was hacked in pwn2own in like 5 seconds. No os is fool proof.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4g

The technique used was worked out prior to pwn2own and took a while to hack. They simply prepared the scene prior to pwn2own then applied what they already knew.. Hardly a fair hack.. But granted it needed to be shown.. Apple needs to up it's game with security.

thekarens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mrphil said:
The technique used was worked out prior to pwn2own and took a while to hack. They simply prepared the scene prior to pwn2own then applied what they already knew.. Hardly a fair hack.. But granted it needed to be shown.. Apple needs to up it's game with security.

That was true for all the hacks. They were all prepared beforehand, but iOS was still hacked the fastest.

mrphil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thekarens said:
That was true for all the hacks. They were all prepared beforehand, but iOS was still hacked the fastest.

Yep, sorry didn't mean to single that particular one out from all the others. The 5 seconds has no bearing on the complexity of the hack. It could have taken weeks to actually hack. Once you know how, it does not matter. For example, one of the most complex hacks to date is the PS3 hack. Once you have the master key, which took years to crack, it only takes a moment to use it. Same goes for all complex / non-complex hacks.. The 5 seconds is irrelevant.

I think pwn2own is a good idea to bring these security flaws to the attention of the tech providers... But it's flawed in suggesting that a vulnerability of a product is measured by how fast you use the hack.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But it isn't just the device alone that makes iPods so successful. Apple offers the device AND also provides the major source of content. Like many others, I have some issues with the functionality of iTunes, but it provides a constant revenue stream for Apple and that is at the core (no pun intended) of their success.

Of course: it's not just the hardware itself, but what I guess I should have said, the total user experience of owning and using it - which includes the "cool" factor, back when it was still actually cool, to be seen and identified as an early adopter.

The other strategic aspect of Apple's dominance (and inability of competitors to respond quickly) is that it's highly integrated: they control every aspect of their product from research and design to hardware and software to distribution and sales; whereas their competitors' products are a hybrid of hardware, software and distribution chain held together with agreements and licenses.

Most reactions