What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bbc iview

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Great news for all uk tv watchers
Now we can pay $10 month and see. Quality tv shows while overseas.
Brilliant
Have been awaiting this launch for some time.
As Australian abc iview is only viewable while in oz,it's great thing.
Hopefully we will be able to do the same with Australian abc iview in the future.
very happy customer.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't understand the OP.
Are you saying that you can pay $10 and watch BBC iView from outside the UK?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - the BBC is rolling out its iPlayer internationally. For those in the UK the iPlayer app has been around for a while but because the BBC is funded by British licence fee payers, the BBC were not allowed to make the app available outside the UK. Now they are releasing a subscription based service on a country-by-country basis so, when it becomes available in your country, you'll find the app in your local App Store.

Tim

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim. I subsequently did a bit of research and then downloaded the App from the Australian App store.
There is a limited (but reasonable cross section I believe about 1000) number of shows available at the moment but from what I have read the intention is to eventually make the whole library available if the service takes off.
There appear to be several issues at the moment.
Airplay to Apple TV does not work. The airplay icon is there but it only shows the speaker for Apple TV not the TV logo. You can play on a TV but need the HDMI cable.
The file sizes are apparently large, noticeable larger than the equivalent length programs through the iTunes Store. There also appear to be some issues with clearing caches and completion of file downloads.
I had a quick play I watched the free to download episode 1 series 1 of Ab Fab and it seemed to download and play okay at my end. I'll play a bit more before I commit to the $10 per month though. I may wait until they get Airplay sorted.
Overall thanks for the heads up even though I was confused by the wording of the original post.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the update - yes, please let us know how you get on. I suspect this is going to become a big 'talking point' at iPF and since I'm in the UK, I can't 'see' what's available to subscription users. I would imagine it's going to be very popular!!

Tim

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe I will figure out how to do some screen shots.

OP
55julie55

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have used the new BBC iview for a few days now.
It's excellent.
It does need a good strong wireless Internet connection.
Have been watching shows in bed and a few cutting out issues which were resolved with the better wireless location.
The shows are great quality.
I do think the lay out of the app could be improved.
In our Australian app for abc iview it gives you the option to keep a watch list.
And a return to the last watched show would be great .especially when watching the next episode of a series.
At present you have to find the show in the general listing then look for the individual episode.
Very cumbersome and slow.
Especially when the wireless connection kept cutting out.
Also the recently added shows,would be an added bonus.
I recommend this app highly .
I love uk produced shows
Just great.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This app works great for me with iOS5. I can now mirror to the TV.
I'm thinking I might just subscribe.

OP
55julie55

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Haven't up graded to ios5 yet.can any one advise if I will lose any BBC iview down loaded episodes .have down loaded so I can watch whole over seas while traveling ?

Most reactions