What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBC iplayer can't stream TV programmes

jswa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I live in the UK and have a 20Mb broadband link.

I have been using iplayer on the ipad for a couple of weeks with no problem but in the last few days it cannot stream TV programmes just keeps coming up with unable to load, please try later. Radio is fine.

Can watch TV progs on my laptopn using same WiFi and broadband link.

Can anyone suggest anything that may bbe causing this?

Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - you've probably done this already but....just in case....

The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

Tim
Scotland

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try iPlayer through your browser first to ensure streams working ok.
Then I'd just delete the app and redownload it.
I don't know what memory demands the app makes so Tim's advice about rebooting before running should help..

OP
J

jswa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks for the advice, tried Tim's options and no joy. Iplayer works fine through safari, have now re- installed the ap and still won't play TV progs but will play radio.

Talcenty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Iplayer gremlins

I also am having problems with BBC's iPlayer.

In my case I can play current items (radio or TV) but not any stored item. IPlayer tries to load the available file from the server then times out and I get a message to try later. I have tried all times and this is the consistent response (7am on a Sunday morning - made me realise it was not timing)
I'm suspecting there is a problem on synching from BBC's stored server.

Tim's problem resolving didn't work for me either. So will try removing, hard reset and then downloading the app again.

Some tech bits iPad one wifi 16gb (>8th spare)
IPlayer is v1.00 no update showing
System 4.3.3

disco_UK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've done everything, including buying a new router (coincidentally for another reason, not just for this ! lol ) and still 9/10 it hangs. Both iphone 4's and ipods work fine as does my PC and PS3 but the ipad just doesnt want to work. What makes it worse is I can't find a contacts or forums page on the BBC sites to leave any constructive feedback!

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem too, at the begening i could watch bbc iplayer without problems, then it started to get dysfunctional, like taking ages to start, or freezing several times at the middle of programme. Then suddenly everything became okay, i could watch entire 1 hour programmes without interruption. Then it started to play up again, and now recently its workinging very nicely. Totally stumped, and I am convinced the problem is at the bbc end, as i did not changes to my ipad/laptop/wifi router etc

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.2

Talcenty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have sent a message to the BBC. I think it would be useful if anyone having the same or similar problems send them a query.
I will send another post with the URL and email. ( should then have my 3 posts to overcome my newbi restrictions)

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Sent from my iPad using iPF, using iOS 4.3.2

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No idea what your problem is as the app works fine here.
Would suggest you use a browser such as iCab, with the browser ID set to Firefox, and run iPlayer full screen in the browser.
The end result will be the same, and tbh I prefer the browser info pages to the tablet optimised ones.

disco_UK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hasty said:
No idea what your problem is as the app works fine here.
Would suggest you use a browser such as iCab, with the browser ID set to Firefox, and run iPlayer full screen in the browser.
The end result will be the same, and tbh I prefer the browser info pages to the tablet optimised ones.

Thanks but I tried that and it requires flash?

mairachel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have also emailed the BBC about the Iplayer, mine hasn't worked since before the weekend and I also get the cannot load try later message.

wicket

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mairachel said:
I have also emailed the BBC about the Iplayer, mine hasn't worked since before the weekend and I also get the cannot load try later message.

Hi there,

I had this problem for about 3 days. Did a restart, tried killing the app, unloaded and reloaded the app all to no avail. Then today I gave up and ran iplayer via the BBC website. Lo and behold the app started to work since I watched a couple of minutes via the website.

Hope this is helpful

Wicket

Most reactions

Latest posts