What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Had my iPad Air 2 for about 1 year now, and today l read for the first time, not sure if it was on here or on the iPhone forum about letting the battery run down to zero. Then fully charging it.
Apple recommend this to be done monthly, since doing it tonight, it might just be in my imagination but, the power seems to last longer.
Maybe l'm going crazy [emoji12] 3 hours for 10%

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't doubt your sanity. If you ran the battery down and then charged to 100%, that 10% is accurate. Whatever it may have indicated prior to calibration may not have been.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Had my iPad Air 2 for about 1 year now, and today l read for the first time, not sure if it was on here or on the iPhone forum about letting the battery run down to zero. Then fully charging it.
Apple recommend this to be done monthly, since doing it tonight, it might just be in my imagination but, the power seems to last longer.
Maybe l'm going crazy [emoji12] 3 hours for 10%

Hello Brix...... - your are correct about the Apple recommendation - please review THIS THREAD and read my two posts carefully - you should be much more cognizant about these LiIon batteries - Dave :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just fyi:
Apple doesn't recommend running down the battery at least once a month, they don't even mention it on their support pages:
Batteries - Maximising Performance
Batteries - Why Lithium-ion?

Running down the battery doesn't improve it's performance, it just helps the software calculating battery life more exactly. So you don't calibrate the battery, but battery statistics.
You can do it once a month or even less. More than once a month is not necessary.

Six questions about your phone's battery answered

Last edited:
OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just goes to prove that l can't read proooperty

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You've read properly. Running down the battery and fully charging it afterwards a few times a month, was a procedure often recommended on iPadForums and iPhoneForums. It's not necessary that often, though.

OP
brixtonboy

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm welcome, glad l can read now if only l can understand, the World would be great again.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just goes to prove that l can't read proooperty

Brix...... - I agree w/ Johanna that running the battery down 'once a month' or so will not improve performance, indeed if the battery is completely exhausted on a routine basis, battery life will suffer - the purpose of the suggestion is as given, i.e. the process may help to recalibrate the battery monitoring technology, as occurred w/ my iPad Air 2 battery in the linked thread - if not already done, please take a look. Dave :)

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I go back to bed now Dave [emoji853]

LOL :) - Have a good sleep, and don't forget to put down the iPad - ;) Dave
45-health-tips-ipad-in-bed.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts