What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery usage only visible when plugged in?

Casey_B

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, all.

I hope you're well. Firstly, I know there are other topics on this matter, but most of them are old, and this is a new 'issue' for me. As it so often seems to, the usage meter showed only dashes. I fully charged my iPad today, and thought I would check to see whether it was different when plugged in. It was. When I unplugged the device to use it, back to dashes. Is there an idiot proof fix for this?

Many thanks,

Casey

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Settings - General - Usage - Battery Usage enable Battery Percentage. I hope this is what you're looking for.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is a shot in the dark, since I've never heard of this happeing, but It might have something to do with battery calibration.

Run your iPad until it starts warning you about low batter. Go down to at least 5%. Lower won't hurt anything. Even if the iPad shuts itself down it won't hurt anything. Now charge the iPad, uninterrupted, until it's at 100%.

This doesn't fix the battery in any way. It just calibrates the battery percentage indicator. Apple recommends you do this once a month, but it's not going to cause any real problems if you happen to forget.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, misunderstood your post.

Did you reset or restart your iPad after charging it? In that case Usage and Standby won't show anything but the dashes, until it's fully charged again, and not turned off. Also, if it crashes, the same will happen.

Last edited:
OP
Casey_B

Casey_B

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, I think I've misstated my question.

In the Settings, under the Usage field, where I should be able to see how much battery life I'm getting out of the iPad, there are only dashes when it's unplugged. When I charged it today, I saw 0 minutes since last full charge, then unplugged it, and the dashes appeared. I've read a lot about this, and most of the solutions seem to involve resetting the device and waiting until the next time it's charged to get a reading. Can anybody assist? :) Thanks.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's what I found as well, now that I understand what your problem is.

Resetting means press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears, then release both and let the iPad power up on it's own. This wont't remove any data or settings on your device, but hopefully Usage will be working as it should after fully charging it once more.

And I think this is what you're seeing:
image.jpg

OP
Casey_B

Casey_B

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help! Recharged today, and it's back!

Take care,

Casey

Most reactions

Latest posts