What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery quick to discharge since upgrading to iOS 6.0.1!!!

Timo12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The battery life on my iPad 3 has noticeably become shorter since the iOS 6.0.1 upgrade. I read from other sites this has become a common problem for idevices. I think my 8Gig Ipod touch is experiencing the same. Would you recommend that I downgrade to 5.1.1? Any simple way to do this? Ipad is barely 6 months old, and similar to ipod, has not been jailbroken. Help please....

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The battery life on my iPad 3 has noticeably become shorter since the iOS 6.0.1 upgrade. I read from other sites this has become a common problem for idevices. I think my 8Gig Ipod touch is experiencing the same. Would you recommend that I downgrade to 5.1.1? Any simple way to do this? Ipad is barely 6 months old, and similar to ipod, has not been jailbroken. Help please....
Regrettably, you cannot now downgrade back to 5.1.1 as Apple closed off that option fairly soon after offering the upgrade The only iPads that can still use 5.1.1 are those that did not upgrade.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Timo12 said:

I'm afraid that you can't downgrade the iOS on your iPad 3.

OP
T

Timo12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Regrettably, you cannot now downgrade back to 5.1.1 as Apple closed off that option fairly soon after offering the upgrade The only iPads that can still use 5.1.1 are those that did not upgrade.

I'm afraid that you can't downgrade the iOS on your iPad 3.

Many thanks for the reply. I have downloaded supposed firmware files (many hours because of my slow broadband connectivity and large file size) for the iPod and iPad but there was no .ipsw files?!? I was hoping to try those youtube suggestions on how to downgrade. I guess I'll just have to wait for the official apple upgrade then??

OP
T

Timo12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read a few sites more intently and it appears I really cannot downgrade to 5.1.1 without those SHSH blob files, which are automatically erased when you upgrade to iOS 6 over wifi. The iPad was fully charged this morning and after only around 6 hours of gaming use, with wifi off, battery is down to 32% of power. I believe this is abnormal though I haven't done an intensive battery life analysis before. Sigh... I'm frustrated with Apple and believe they are piling up one f)$&up after another. I hope they solve this soon so they won't spiral downward. This is one too many issues already.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Timo12 said:
I read a few sites more intently and it appears I really cannot downgrade to 5.1.1 without those SHSH blob files, which are automatically erased when you upgrade to iOS 6 over wifi. The iPad was fully charged this morning and after only around 6 hours of gaming use, with wifi off, battery is down to 32% of power. I believe this is abnormal though I haven't done an intensive battery life analysis before. Sigh... I'm frustrated with Apple and believe they are piling up one f)$&up after another. I hope they solve this soon so they won't spiral downward. This is one too many issues already.

The battery life you report while gaming seems quite normal. Gaming, with its intensive graphics, is is a known battery hog. From what you mention, you would get about 9 total hours of gaming use before the battery was completely discharged. That's very good performance.

OP
T

Timo12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The battery life you report while gaming seems quite normal. Gaming, with its intensive graphics, is is a known battery hog. From what you mention, you would get about 9 total hours of gaming use before the battery was completely discharged. That's very good performance.

Thank you for the encouraging comment. However, I still feel there is a difference in performance from the time of the iOS 6 upgrade. A colleague has a similar, if not worse, experience.

Most reactions

Latest posts