What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery problems (even in standby) - shutting off processes?

RMSko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Battery problems in standby

I have the new iPad (3) and a number of processes keep running in the background even though I have "deleted" them in the multi-task pane, i.e., I have double clicked the circle, held down each app and then hit the red dash so that no apps are running in the background. For example, I keep getting notifications that apps need to be updated which means my iPad is checking with the app store - this is happening even though my notification center is empty. I also have a battery app that tells me 30+ processes are running even though I have no open apps. I understand that some processes must always run, but I would like to disable the unnecessary ones b/c I continue to have terrible battery performance, even in standby mode.

As for standby battery performance, the strange thing is that sometimes my battery doesn't drain in standby at all and then other times it drains over 10% over one night. Each time there are no apps running in the background and I have no idea what is causing the inconsistent behavior, but I can only assume there must some process issue.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't have any way to control or kill the remaining processes (nor should you need to), so once you've shut down apps from the switcher, you are done. The iPad does not have an widespread battery draining issues which killing processes would resolve.

Next thing to do is check the Settings App, and configure ALL the items so that they will not check for things in the background. e.g. check the stetting for "Store" and also the configuration of all your mail accounts. Polling mail too often is the number one battery killer.

If you still feel battery is poor, it is possible you have a panicking process. This happens most often when an upgrade of IOS has picked up incorrect or corrupt settings. The only way to fix it is to backup, then reinstall IOS via iTunes to a fresh copy of 5.1.1 then restore your backup again. That normally corrects things, but in extreme cases you may need to forgo restoring your backup if the problem persists (because the corruption is in your backup files).
i.e. setting it up as a "new iPad" will ultimately resolve the problem.

Try those, from top to bottom.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
R

RMSko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't have any way to control or kill the remaining processes (nor should you need to), so once you've shut down apps from the switcher, you are done. The iPad does not have an widespread battery draining issues which killing processes would resolve.

Next thing to do is check the Settings App, and configure ALL the items so that they will not check for things in the background. e.g. check the stetting for "Store" and also the configuration of all your mail accounts. Polling mail too often is the number one battery killer.

If you still feel battery is poor, it is possible you have a panicking process. This happens most often when an upgrade of IOS has picked up incorrect or corrupt settings. The only way to fix it is to backup, then reinstall IOS via iTunes to a fresh copy of 5.1.1 then restore your backup again. That normally corrects things, but in extreme cases you may need to forgo restoring your backup if the problem persists (because the corruption is in your backup files).
i.e. setting it up as a "new iPad" will ultimately resolve the problem.

Try those, from top to bottom.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for those hints, really appreciate it. I have set all the mail to manual so I know it's not that. I also did a full restore about a month ago where I set it up as a new iPad and that helped for a few days, but then the problem resurfaced. The really strange part is that sometimes it doesn't drain in standby and then other times it drains really really fast. I haven't been able to identify any pattern and so it's driving me a bit nuts.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What model iPad3 do you have and which version of IOS are you running? Are you jailbroken?

Battery drain can also be triggered by poor reception on models with GSM. Similarly, if the internet connection is unavailable via the router, but wifi is connected.

Do you get the drain if you put the device in Airplane mode?

OP
R

RMSko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What model iPad3 do you have and which version of IOS are you running? Are you jailbroken?

Battery drain can also be triggered by poor reception on models with GSM. Similarly, if the internet connection is unavailable via the router, but wifi is connected.

Do you get the drain if you put the device in Airplane mode?
I have the 64GB 4G AT&T version. What I'm most concerned about is the drain while in standby. When I am at home and in my WiFi network, there are times it drains over 10% overnight in just a 10 hour period, and then there are times it doesn't drain at all in the exact same circumstance. I haven't tried it in airplane mode, but I would hope that should not have a significant effect in standby. In contrast, with my iPad 2, in the exact same environment it NEVER drained more than 1% overnight. One interesting thing is if I turn off iCloud, the drain is a bit less severe.

Most reactions

Latest posts