What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery problem covered under warranty if screen is cracked?

Otownipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased my iPad Air 2 Cellular 32GB used last Summer and before I was able to get a protective case, I chipped the edge of the screen border which later spread to the screen itself after I squeezed it (oops).

It had no issues with the operation and I just put a screen protector over it to prevent cuts while playing fruit ninja :rolleyes:

Thing is, lately I’ve been having issues with the battery life :oops:

Back when I first got it, I could watch multiple movies with ease, but now I can barely get through one without having to plug in :(

Chatted with a few of the Apple Genius’ online and they suggested a full reset, which didn’t really help the matter.

Now I have an appointment with the Apple store this weekend as it’s still covered under the Limited Warranty, but will I have an issue with the screen damage?

I’d hate for them to void the warranty on what they might conclude as “abuse”, even though it has been functioning fine for almost a year now :confused:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While the defective battery would be covered under the warranty and AppleCare+, the damaged screen would have to be replaced at your expense or under the accidental damage provisions of AppleCare+. Apple won't replace the battery without fixing the screen as well.

OP
O

Otownipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What does the condition of the screen have to do with the battery life failing though?

Kind of like saying Ford won't repair the failed engine in my Focus unless I fix the dent on the fender

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A smashed iPad screen when you have to take the device apart is not the the equivalent of a dented bumper on a car!

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The screen has to come off in order to replace the battery. It possible that further breakage may occur when removing the screen as it is glued into place. Perhaps you should consider out of warranty replacement? Solve both the screen and battery issue at the same time.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What does the condition of the screen have to do with the battery life failing though?

Kind of like saying Ford won't repair the failed engine in my Focus unless I fix the dent on the fender
Apple does not do partial repair jobs. BTW, even the best techs sometimes break an intact screen while removing it. In that case Apple would not charge for a replacement screen.

OP
O

Otownipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Understood

I can only assume the price of an out of warranty replacement will be higher than I paid for it to begin with :(

I'll see what my options are when go there this Saturday

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
O

Otownipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s definitely more than I paid for it to begin with lol

I wouldn’t mind paying that if they would let me upgrade to a better model (like a 64 or 128), but I know that’s not happening.

OP
O

Otownipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SUCCESS!!

Just got back from the Apple store and they agreed to replace it under warranty, no out of pocket and no questions asked :D

They said they weren't able to check the history of the battery use because I did a hard reset (as per their suggestion on chat) and I didn't get a chance to charge it fully (had 47% when I went in).

Unfortunately, they didn't have a Space Gray in stock (well, they did, just not in 32GB) and I didn't want to settle for a Gold or Silver (not a fan of the white border), so the replacement will be shipped out to me early this week :cool:

OP
O

Otownipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a little update....

New iPad arrived on Monday afternoon, but I didn’t get to it until Friday cause I had them ship it to my house on the island (much safer than my place in the city).

I was told I would receive a refurb, but I’m convinced this thing is brand new cause it’s absolutely flawless!!

Came in a new sealed box with charger, cable, literature and a couple of apple stickers.

Definitely a happy camper :)

Most reactions

Latest posts