What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery Life

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
turned off ping myself now too.
It might be Ping killing my battery when the iPad is out of use

You should also turn off WiFi and 3G (if you have it) when not using your iPad - and power it down completely overnight, or if you don't plan to use it for several hours. That's the advice from Apple, which has worked very well for me.

Matt1226

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have read that in the first couple of charges you should run the battery down. The person complaining about battery life was charging it at 56%. You still have a lot of time left. Let it run down then fully charge it. Plus kill all the apps you have open.

richrocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forgive my dimness, but what do you mean when you say turn PING off?
Please be basic.
Thanks in advance for your understanding!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
DexHealth

DexHealth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Matt1226 said:
I have read that in the first couple of charges you should run the battery down. The person complaining about battery life was charging it at 56%. You still have a lot of time left. Let it run down then fully charge it. Plus kill all the apps you have open.

The battery issue has been resolved. No don't turn off ping. The issue occurred after setting the Auto-Lock to never. Once the Auto-Lock was reset to 5min... The issue was resolved.

NAYo2002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The battery issue has been resolved. No don't turn off ping. The issue occurred after setting the Auto-Lock to never. Once the Auto-Lock was reset to 5min... The issue was resolved.

That's strange, do you not turn off the screen manually or something? Otherwise, I don't see how this could impact battery life. Even with the screen on and looping video, most journalists who reviewed the iPad2 was able to get over 10 hours of battery life. It shouldn't have drained more than 10% an hour.

OP
DexHealth

DexHealth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NAYo2002 said:
That's strange, do you not turn off the screen manually or something? Otherwise, I don't see how this could impact battery life. Even with the screen on and looping video, most journalists who reviewed the iPad2 was able to get over 10 hours of battery life. It shouldn't have drained more than 10% an hour.

Very Strange. I'm using the smart cover however the issue only arise while the iPad was in use continuously for an hour. Since resetting the problem resolved. Thanks for the input!

iceman72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I work 11 hour days. I take my ipad 2 to work fully charged. While at work I surf the web, watch maybe 1 movie and play lots of games. I can get through the entire day and even have a lil bit left maybe 20% when I get home. I only put it on the charger once a night before bed time. I love the battery life.

akintomide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DexHealth said:
iPad 2 battery life reduces faster than iPad first generation. After 1hr the battery life on iPad 2 is at 75%

I think the battery life may improve if you allow your iPad 2 battery to drain to zero percent and recharge from there. Subsequent charging improve the battery life. This worked for my iPad Classic - wifi only, 3G and for different uses. MAybe the reason we are having issues with iPad 2 is become it is new.

mutts2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although I've have my "2" for a week (same model as orig - 32G wifi only), I am noticing slightly less battery avail time (I would guess 10-20%).

Not sure why, as my settings are exactly the same ( no push, manual fetch on all mail accts, 5 min auto lock, etc.).

I use it for web surfing and email only.

I have't discharged it yet (let it run to nothing) but will be doing that now to see if that makes a difference.

Still love it (getting used to the white).

Last edited:

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my ipad2 has less battery life than my ipad 1, its a 3g version so not sure if that makes a difference?

I can't turn mobile data off as its greyed out, and I haven't got a sim in there, so it shouldn't effect battery life should it?

also I've only had mine since friday so is it a good idea to wear the battery down completely then charge it up??

thanks

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, you'll want to fully discharge and then charge, repeat 2 or 3 times to optimize battery life.

Also you may wish to disable Ping from the Settings > Restrictions (you'll need to set minimum 4 character passcode). I hope this is of the hidden drains Apple kills in 4.3.2. Ping was such a bad idea and continues to be.

Last edited:

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my ipad2 has less battery life than my ipad 1, its a 3g version so not sure if that makes a difference?

I can't turn mobile data off as its greyed out, and I haven't got a sim in there, so it shouldn't effect battery life should it?

also I've only had mine since friday so is it a good idea to wear the battery down completely then charge it up??

thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts