What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery Life?

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did a search, but no answer to my specific question. Maybe my search capability isn't good enough, but here goes: what type of usage is best for longevity of my iPad battery? Should I leave it plugged in until I need to go mobile, or should I simply use it off the grid and recharge when it runs out of oomph?

I did find something on the Apple web site saying that you need to run it completely down about once per month---but this is merely to keep the battery charge indicator calibrated.

Can anyone shed light on this issue?

Thanks.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think it has been out long enough for anyone to make a definite determination about the best way to get the maximum life from the battery. Theoretically they are good for 1000 charge cycles, so even if you ran it down and fully charged it every day, that would be nearly 3 years and they haven't even been out a year yet!

These new batteries do not have a "memory" like the older ones, so there is no harm in keeping it topped off before it is completely discharged.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks a lot C4! Great info. I will just do whatever seems convenient and let the chips fall where they will (or won't!).

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple used to have detailed info on battery life on their website and in the iPad user guide.

I try to keep mine around 60 - 70% so that in the event of a power outage I have music and movies for the entire day until bedtime, and enough juice left over to power it as an alarm clock.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It lasts so long I find myself just waiting until its dead to charge...not because I need to but because 50% will last a whole day....20% is almost 3 hours.....I don't go running to a charger everytime it gets under 60% like my phone.

Also they seem to have considerately changed the battery warning to 10% as opposed to 20% which was a really distant warning!

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One more question, if I may?

Should I completely power down my iPad each evening or simply put it to sleep by tapping the main power switch?

In other words, what is the power consumption in the sleep mode?

Thanks.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well that depends...

Personally, I leave mine on all the time and just let it go to "sleep". But then again, I do not have it set to automatically check for email and other things that could drain the battery even if the screen is off.

dflenick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had mine about 2 weeks now and let it go to sleep every night. I'm configured to connect to our Exchange server whenever in range of a configured WiFi connection. My battery lasts about 3 days before I have to charge it.

shawnblog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
100% after two full days sleeping...

I left mine on over the weekend recently and was shocked to see the charge was at 100% when I went to use it on Monday morning!

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tend to turn mine off, mostly because one of my main apps (Pulse) crashes a couple of times a week and it seem like a refresh couldn't hurt. Many apps in the app store note that after installing you should power cycle the iPad to avoid instability, so I figure it can't hurt.

And Pulse (and other memory intensive apps) seem to be happier since I started doing it.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I put mine to sleep with all notifications on, and my ipad could still give me an average of
12 hours usage. wifi runs the whole day too. ;)

melisa121

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been reading some of your comments, and nearly all of you are saying your battery life lasts ages. I have 32gb 3g and my battery life lasts 3 hours at low light?

Most reactions

Latest posts