What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery Life - When do you charge the iPad?

rockdogza

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys. So this is my first post and I have been thinking about this one for a while. I dunno if this issue has been raised before, but here goes.

Here is the scenario:
A while back I had a nokia cell phone. I fell into a routine where I would charge my phone, if it was close to flat, just before I went out. After a while I noticed that all the charging created a kind of memory and I was only able to get about 90% of the battery life. (my battery run flat quicker)

1. Is it possible that a battery can have a memory build up and if you never let it run totally flat you lose full battery life?
2. Must the iPad run completely flat before I charge it, in order to get maximum battery life? Or do I charge it anytime?
3. I am in the office 90% of the day and my iPad is connected most of the time to my pc. Does the iPad charge through the pc?

P.s. I have iPad 2 16GB wifi +3G

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rockdogza said:
Hey guys. So this is my first post and I have been thinking about this one for a while. I dunno if this issue has been raised before, but here goes.

Here is the scenario:
A while back I had a nokia cell phone. I fell into a routine where I would charge my phone, if it was close to flat, just before I went out. After a while I noticed that all the charging created a kind of memory and I was only able to get about 90% of the battery life. (my battery run flat quicker)

1. Is it possible that a battery can have a memory build up and if you never let it run totally flat you lose full battery life?
2. Must the iPad run completely flat before I charge it, in order to get maximum battery life? Or do I charge it anytime?
3. I am in the office 90% of the day and my iPad is connected most of the time to my pc. Does the iPad charge through the pc?

P.s. I have iPad 2 16GB wifi +3G

1. iPad batteries do not have memory effect, so you can charge at any time.
2. As per 1, charge at any time. apple advises running the battery down once a month but only to calibrate the battery meter.
3. Yes, your PC's USB will trickle charge your iPad but your iPad will say that it isn't charging.

The Archangel

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1. iPad batteries do not have memory effect, so you can charge at any time.
2. As per 1, charge at any time. apple advises running the battery down once a month but only to calibrate the battery meter.
3. Yes, your PC's USB will trickle charge your iPad but your iPad will say that it isn't charging.

The Archangel

Yep - that about sums that up. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts