What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery is TERRIBLE!

Mrpete31

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This morning I'm relaxing and reading papers online. After 2 hours of use I'm now at 56% !?

Last night the battery also got very, very hot ( battery was also down below 10%).

Time for a Motorola zoom? JK.

What's the deal Apple?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You have the screen at max brightness?

kamikaze06

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have heard that the battery can become very hot when playing games. Some officianado from an American Techo Forum advised people suffering from this to completely discharge the battery before re-charging it again, which, per him, solves the problem.
I don't know if this would be the answer for you, but it must be worth a try as it would do no harm. After all is said and done, there must be a lot of people out there who use their iPad too much and end up emptying the battery before recharging again, without causing a problem.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Possible that you damaged the battery by dropping the device or left it in a hot car? What you are describing is a damaged battery, whether it was done by you or before you got it.

Try a restart, if that does not help, try draining the battery all the way and then leaving it overnight to charge, if that does not help take it back under warranty for replacement.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since he reports his battery was below 10%, it has effectively been drained already.

odonnks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think you can get a battery from 10% to 100% overnight.
My bet is that it was not fully charged even if it said it was.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
odonnks said:
I don't think you can get a battery from 10% to 100% overnight.
My bet is that it was not fully charged even if it said it was.

In fact, the main reason to drain the battery is to calibrate the level meter.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I started my iPad 3 playing videos -- streaming from my Air Stash -- at 9:36am this morning. It ran continuously, video after video, until it powered itself down at 7:10pm. Note that it was streaming over wifi as that is how the Air Stash works. So I got just short of 9.5 hours of run time. I now have it on charge. It took a while after plugging it back up to power before the Apple logo appeared on the screen. Now it is back on at 7:14pm showing 2% charge. This is my first battery drain.

Note, I had the brightness at about 40% but with auto-brightness off. I always turn auto-brightness off when watching movies as I find the image will be too dark otherwise.

Now it is back on and I'm using it while it charges.

Last edited:

Smok1n

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even at full brightness it shouldn't discharge that fast if all you're doing is browsing news sites. How hot is "very, very hot?" It shoufd not even break a sweat doing what you're doing. IMO you should call Apple.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are apps that can create battery use when not active. Even though they say it is not necessary, I always clear my app bar on the bottom every few days or so, just to be sure. The fact still remain that the brightness is the biggest way to influence your battery life. Next to that, many GPS programs are big drains.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you keep a screen on a full brightness -- continously -- the iPad will get warm. I did it and got mine up to 116 degrees on the back in like 36 minutes. I think people tend to say hot when they really be abnormally warm, especially when coming from a previous iPad which was always cool. iPad 3 is a different beast.

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think people tend to say hot when they really be abnormally warm, especially when coming from a previous iPad which was always cool. iPad 3 is a different beast.

I completely agree. I also strongly believe many iPad 3 users are tuned into the hot battery issue because it's been such a popular topic, kwim? I'm not discrediting anyone who has issues with the battery by any means but I do think first time users are overly sensitive and don't realize the new iPad is going to run much warmer than it's predecessor.

Personally, if you're concerned you have a faulty unit, by all means simply return it for a new one. You paid a lot of money for your iPad and at the end of the day, you need to be happy with the product. Good luck!

Most reactions

Latest posts