What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery exhausted

peter4711

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If an iPad 2 is off for two years, will it loose contents, loaded apps data?

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It shouldn't. Most of that is hopefully backed up somewhere. This battery will be totally discharged though and probably need replacing. That's doable though. Not 100% sure though.

Richard Orenus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If an iPad 2 is off for two years, will it loose contents, loaded apps data?
It really depends on how you use it, to make sure you don't lose data you need to have a back up. I read some reviews and blogs about how to take care of your smartphone battery the right way. Here is some of it:

Top it off
Keep it cool
Avoid wireless charging
Don't sweat it too much

OP
P

peter4711

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually want it to loose data. It was 'impounded' (long story not going into it here), two years ago and has been switched off during this period. I was wondering if it will 'loose' my loaded apps and associated data.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I actually want it to loose data. It was 'impounded' (long story not going into it here), two years ago and has been switched off during this period. I was wondering if it will 'loose' my loaded apps and associated data.
While anything stored on the iPad will still be there, there's the possibility that the battery may be damaged from the long period if inactivity. The battery would have slowly lost its charge even while the iPad was turned off. If the battery became completely exhausted and stayed that way for an extended time it may have become incapable of holding a full charge.

OP
P

peter4711

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While anything stored on the iPad will still be there, there's the possibility that the battery may be damaged from the long period if inactivity. The battery would have slowly lost its charge even while the iPad was turned off. If the battery became completely exhausted and stayed that way for an extended time it may have become incapable of holding a full charge.

Thanks your reply / help.
So the chances are that any person wanting to access my data, would probable have to replace the battery. It is about 2.5 years since it held a full charge. I left it with cellular data switched on, so it will have been 'seeking a signal', which would use up battery power. Sim card has been cancelled.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks your reply / help.
So the chances are that any person wanting to access my data, would probable have to replace the battery. It is about 2.5 years since it held a full charge. I left it with cellular data switched on, so it will have been 'seeking a signal', which would use up battery power. Sim card has been cancelled.
If you had find my iPhone turned on, you could remotely erase the iPad which would prevent any possibility of anyone accessing the data on the iPad.

OP
P

peter4711

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you had find my iPhone turned on, you could remotely erase the iPad which would prevent any possibility of anyone accessing the data on the iPad.
Yes, it has an 'an erase pending', but it will only erase IF connected to the internet.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it has an 'an erase pending', but it will only erase IF connected to the internet.
You don't have to worry about unauthorized data access then. Anyone else won't be able break your password to access the iPad. They also won't be able to erase the iPad and set it up as their own because they don't have your Apple ID and password. Finally, if anything is done to connect the iPad to the Internet, the iPad will be erased.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Plug it in, and leave it plugged in for a day, with the provided charger. Then see if you can get it to boot while still plugged in. If it will start, then you can erase the data the usual way.

Most reactions