What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery drain

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Really weird thing happened last night. I went to bed leaving my iPad downstairs, it had 52% battery left. The iPad has the cover that turns it off on closing so I don't leave anything running. I'm also pretty keen about switching off any apps running in the background and running the battery to 10% in order to do a full charge at least once a month.Anyway, when I went to check for emails this morning, the iPad was totally unresponsive. Absolutely no battery charge at all, totally run down. I immediately thought I had a major problem but the iPad has charged up nicely to 100% so I am waiting to see how the battery consumption fares over the next 24 hours.Any one had a similar experience and if so, what was the cause?Mike

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, doing a 10% to full charge at least once a month means the battery meter/indicator should be calibrated so that is probably not the issue. Was it connected to a Bluetooth device or BT radio left on? Anything using location services? What have you done differently or installed in the last week? Which iOS are you running and what generation iPad is it?

I may not find the answer, but with this extra information maybe someone can.

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, doing a 10% to full charge at least once a month means the battery meter/indicator should be calibrated so that is probably not the issue. Was it connected to a Bluetooth device or BT radio left on? Anything using location services? What have you done differently or installed in the last week? Which iOS are you running and what generation iPad is it? I may not find the answer, but with this extra information maybe someone can.
Hi and thanks for replying.I do not have bluetooth switched on. I don't have any use for it. With regards to location services, it is on for Find my iPad and five other apps I use. I should add that these apps have had location services since I bought the iPad over a year ago. Nothing changed there.The only app I have installed and which I thought may have something to do with this is Weblock adblocker. I have been plagued by pop ups on one site I am signed in to and Weblocker has sorted that. No adds or pop ups anymore. I suppose there may be a price to pay but who knows.The iPad is an iPad 3, 32gb, Wi-Fi only, latest IOS 7.0.4, only recently installed.For your information, as well, I charged the device up this morning and have been using it on and off for the last 2 or 3 hours. The battery has only dropped 3%. By the way, I cannot paragraph this text for some reason, sorry.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Really weird thing happened last night. I went to bed leaving my iPad downstairs, it had 52% battery left. The iPad has the cover that turns it off on closing so I don't leave anything running. ..........Anyway, when I went to check for emails this morning, the iPad was totally unresponsive. Absolutely no battery charge at all, totally run down. I immediately thought I had a major problem but the iPad has charged up nicely to 100% so I am waiting to see how the battery consumption fares over the next 24 hours.Any one had a similar experience and if so, what was the cause?Mike

Hi Mike - don't believe that I'll be of much help, but you might want to tell us the model of your iPad & the iOS installed. Also, if not already done I would 'Reset' the iPad - assume that you know the procedure; and then, simply monitor the iPad over the next week or so. I also have several Battery Apps on my device, one known as Boost Magic (a number are available in the App Store) - below is a screen capture w/ my battery @ 90% and shown 648 hrs on standby, so you should have really seen very little if any change overnight (but you already know this from past experience). Let us know your results in the upcoming days - good luck. Dave :)

BoostMagic.PNG

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Mike - don't believe that I'll be of much help, but you might want to tell us the model of your iPad & the iOS installed. Also, if not already done I would 'Reset' the iPad - assume that you know the procedure; and then, simply monitor the iPad over the next week or so. I also have several Battery Apps on my device, one known as Boost Magic (a number are available in the App Store) - below is a screen capture w/ my battery @ 90% and shown 648 hrs on standby, so you should have really seen very little if any change overnight (but you already know this from past experience). Let us know your results in the upcoming days - good luck. Dave :)

View attachment 50467

Thanks, Dave, for the input. As you advise, I have already done all this so I am waiting for the results.
I have an awful feeling that I may left the cover open on my iPad :( so the next few days will be interesting. If that was the reason I will let you all know as much as I will feel a real idiot.
Take care.
Mike

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've done that falling asleep on the couch watching a TV series on Netflix before. The shows auto start and I woke up to a dead iPad (well at 3%) and dropping.

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, all's well with the iPad so far. I guess it was operator error and I have to put my hands up to the fact that I believe I did not close the cover. Thanks anyway guys, giradman and zstairlessone, your posts were much appreciated.
Compliments of the Season to you,
Mike

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi guys,
It has happened again last night and this was definitely not operator error! But, I have been Googling around and found this article amongst other things.
https://discussions.apple.com/message/23390342#23390342
My iPad has been in use for the past hour during which the battery indicator showed 76%. I have had Sky News on, albeit 5 or 10 mins and also checked emails and reading articles. This very minute the indicator has showed a 1% drop to 75%.
I religiously re-calibrate my battery and used to use Battery Doctor. The indicator has now dropped to 74% even whilst I am typing. It has been suggested that this occurs after the upgrade to the latest IOS. My iPad is 3rd generation, 32gb, wifi only. I do not have apps running as I clear them before closing. I have not used any new apps or games.
Any ideas please?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi again Mike - sorry about your continuing battery issue - really frustrating! :thumbsdown:

I looked at that link and in the first reply, numerous other links were given - assume you reviewed each - no help? I doubt that the cover (open vs. closed) makes a difference - the device would normally go into standby mode and preserve the battery power for days; also 'idle' apps use very little power (I've got dozens in the multi-task screen showing). Still appears to be the iOS 7 upgrade (maybe a 7.1 version will be released soon?) - do you have an Apple Store or a qualified Apple Service place nearby? Might be time to bring it to them for a check - good luck. Dave :)

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi again Mike - sorry about your continuing battery issue - really frustrating! :thumbsdown:

I looked at that link and in the first reply, numerous other links were given - assume you reviewed each - no help? I doubt that the cover (open vs. closed) makes a difference - the device would normally go into standby mode and preserve the battery power for days; also 'idle' apps use very little power (I've got dozens in the multi-task screen showing). Still appears to be the iOS 7 upgrade (maybe a 7.1 version will be released soon?) - do you have an Apple Store or a qualified Apple Service place nearby? Might be time to bring it to them for a check - good luck. Dave :)
Dave, your input is greatly appreciated and I totally agree with what you have to say. I will ride the storm, so to speak, safe in the knowledge that I am not alone. It isn't a major issue, just irritating, not knowing that when you open the iPad the battery has drained, grrrrr! I will go to the Apple store which is some 15-20 miles away when I am really at the end of my tether. Only problem with that is I am in the UK and I do not have a lot of faith in any UK customer service (other than that great US institution here in the UK, Orvis, blooming excellent).
Take care and thanks once more.
Mike

lizhobbins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am just experiencing a big battery drain problem over the last few days. I am running an iPad 3 32G. I often do not close my cover but that has never been a problem. Went to bed last night with device at 72% charge and this AM at 6 it was dead. Spoke to Apple - ran diagnostic - everything reports out OK - so she had me check multitasking, how many apps were still open. I had apps open that I had not used in months! So we have closed a gazillion of those and I am waiting to see how quickly I charge up here. But I am dismayed that the advice was to check multitasking every night. I have had good luck with Apple support but this solution seems a bit dodgy. Anyone resorting to this?

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am just experiencing a big battery drain problem over the last few days. I am running an iPad 3 32G. I often do not close my cover but that has never been a problem. Went to bed last night with device at 72% charge and this AM at 6 it was dead. Spoke to Apple - ran diagnostic - everything reports out OK - so she had me check multitasking, how many apps were still open. I had apps open that I had not used in months! So we have closed a gazillion of those and I am waiting to see how quickly I charge up here. But I am dismayed that the advice was to check multitasking every night. I have had good luck with Apple support but this solution seems a bit dodgy. Anyone resorting to this?
Hi lizhobbins,
I close any apps before leaving the iPad for a long period of time but it didn't make any difference as the battery still drained. I am still checking other avenues as to how this happened. It just seems to be a calibration problem. I even re-installed Battery Doctor and let it run down to below 10% before charging. It charged okay but didn't show that it had done a full cycle charge which I thought was odd.

lizhobbins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! I will definitely be more aware of that and will monitor. Another self-inflicted wound I discovered yesterday was that I had turned off auto-lock on Sunday while I was using an online recipe. I often do that, and then turn the auto-lock back on when I am done with the recipe. But we had company for dinner, I got distracted, blahblahblah...... But that is definitely a battery killer. And it does explain why I was suddenly experiencing this battery drain issue as opposed to as soon as I upgraded to iOS 7. And it wasn't a problem on my phone. So.......ugh.

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, guys, I'm still bumbling along. Charge holding but I am still monitoring the calibration. If no answer to all this I can live with it, it is no big deal just an irritation. Glad you sorted yours lizhobbins, good luck.
Mike

jjayofe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had the same problem except:
#1-it was sitting next to a Bluetooth keyboard.
#2-Pad was total black. no, battery icon--nothing. and word not turn on.
#3-charged it all day and night. and is still black and totally unresponsive. this is the 4 day of black screen
#4-it is an iPad 2 and is 18 months old.
thanks for any help, jjayofe

Most reactions