What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery drain on sleep mode

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Because the iPad is still "running" in sleep mode. That's why you get the instant on when you press the sleep/wake button. The only way to prevent battery drain is to turn it fully off.

Marilyn

OP
D

dimax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok thanks, but does a 3% drop in about 2hours sleep normal?

bhwolfman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It does seem high, and mine definitely loses more while sleeping than my ipad 2 ever did. I've checked the settings and turned off unneeded things. As I said in another thread, I'd think while sleeping the ipad 3 would lose less battery (assuming 4g is off) than the ipad 2, because the battery is so much bigger and the screen/graphics are obviously not used while sleeping.

OP
D

dimax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All your running apps in backround off that you don't need so they are still not running

maybe that's why its draining... how do i set off the running apps in the background, can't seem to find them in Settings?

Last edited:

britpoper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Push the center home button twice to see all apps that are recently running, then push one of the icon until their jiggle.
After that you will see each icon have cross sign on the top left, you can close them by push the "x" sign.

bhwolfman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Push the center home button twice to see all apps that are recently running, then push one of the icon until their jiggle.
After that you will see each icon have cross sign on the top left, you can close them by push the "x" sign.

Apps that were recently running do not consume battery. That's all that "multitasking" bar is -- a list of recently run applications. Yes, some of the most recent apps are still in memory, but they are otherwise suspended and consume no CPU. If memory is needed, they are removed. Sometimes, if an app isn't behaving correctly, closing the app like this will help because it will force it to be removed from memory. But doing this does nothing to help battery and is a common misconception of how background processing works.

There are a few exceptions to background apps -- apps that play music, for example, or some GPS apps. But by and large, when you hit the home screen, the app is suspended.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've left mine on all night and still found 100% the next morning...maybe you are running with blu-tooth on or you have weak wireless.

britpoper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apps that were recently running do not consume battery. That's all that "multitasking" bar is -- a list of recently run applications. Yes, some of the most recent apps are still in memory, but they are otherwise suspended and consume no CPU. If memory is needed, they are removed. Sometimes, if an app isn't behaving correctly, closing the app like this will help because it will force it to be removed from memory. But doing this does nothing to help battery and is a common misconception of how background processing works.

There are a few exceptions to background apps -- apps that play music, for example, or some GPS apps. But by and large, when you hit the home screen, the app is suspended.

I know that, I only replying what the OP asked on the post above me.
I could posted mine with a link to an explanation exactly just like your post.
But then again, I knew it's already posted on several threads in this forum plus I'm too lazy to do search first or do more typing :p

Anyway, both my ipad have the same condition just like AQ_OC posted above.

Last edited:

Mikekan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad's 3 battery is exactly the same when I wake up with the one I left before sleeping, every single day in the past 3 weeks I own it. All apps are closed and the ipad is in airplane mode during the night.

RMSko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad's 3 battery is exactly the same when I wake up with the one I left before sleeping, every single day in the past 3 weeks I own it. All apps are closed and the ipad is in airplane mode during the night.
Maybe putting it in airplane mode is probably what is stopping the drain. However, I never had to do that with my iPad 2 and it drained very little in standby. In comparison, my iPad 3 drains a lot in standby (like 10% over a day). Mine is a 4G model and I'm wondering if the 4G models drain more in standby than the WiFi models when the 4G models are not connected to WiFi. Anyone have any thoughts?

Reaction score
Just curious, but how much affect do app notifications have on battery life while in sleep mode. If you have a lot of apps with active notifications, will that drain the battery more?

Most reactions

Latest posts