What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery charging and broadband data usage

Bob Hawkins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife's iPad Mini 2 has been charging for about eight hours and has reached 32%. I switched on Airplane Mode as a result of an internet search and it is at 56% after a further hour.
My question is this, though: my normal daily broadband data usage is in the region of 250MB. Twice recently, it was 1.72GB and 3.66GB. I have had my suspicion about the iPad Mini using data. I have looked at my data usage today. It is 650MB so far - that would be up to two hours ago and I have hardly used my PC, the only other device in the house. Is it conceivable that the iPad Mini is using broadband data somehow while charging?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My iPad2 had a problem with ultra slow charging, but a hard reset solved it. You hold down the Home and Off buttons simultaneously for about ten seconds until the Apple logo appears - then let go. The iPad will restart.

The iPad can be using data whilst it's asleep and on charge. It may back up to iCloud, for instance. You can check which Apps have been active over the past 24 hours/7 days by looking at the Battery usage in Settings under General.

OP
Bob Hawkins

Bob Hawkins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jupiter7
I thank you for your reply. I am unsure what I can deduce from the following:
TIME SINCE LAST FULL CHARGE
Usage 19 minutes
Standby 10 hours 38 minutes
BATTERY USAGE
Last 24 Hours
Safari 46%
Home and Lock Screen 29%
Messages 25%

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can also turn on Airplane mode, then turn WiFi back on. This will guarantee that cellular data is not being used while charging.

There's a feature of iOS 9 called WiFi assist that switches to cellular if the WiFi signal is weak. If you want to turn it off go to Settings>Cellular and scroll all the way to the bottom of the list of apps that can use cellular data, there you'll see the WiFi Assist switch. Turn it off and see if that helps.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you tap the little clock in Battery usage the background usage of individual Apps is shown from which you might have deduced if any were using data whilst the App was asleep. However, from what you say that probably wasn't the case.

Did you try hard resetting the iPad?

OP
Bob Hawkins

Bob Hawkins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 and jupiter7
I thank you both for your constructive replies. I remember I reset the iPad and switched on Airplane Mode before resuming battery charging, which is a little unfortunate because I cannot know which was responsible for the quicker subsequent charge. I shall monitor the charging process in future. My inclination is to get into the habit of switching on Airplane Mode before charging. This should overcome the data usage issue, at least.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
scifan57 and jupiter7
I thank you both for your constructive replies. I remember I reset the iPad and switched on Airplane Mode before resuming battery charging, which is a little unfortunate because I cannot know which was responsible for the quicker subsequent charge. I shall monitor the charging process in future. My inclination is to get into the habit of switching on Airplane Mode before charging. This should overcome the data usage issue, at least.
You're welcome. Here's hoping the advice helps solve the problem.

Most reactions