What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basic Sync Question

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad 2 is coming in a day or two. This the first Apple product that I've ever purchased. Until now, all I've ever used are PC's.

While I'm waiting for my iPad, I'm currently doing research on how to set it up. As of this writing, I'm currently reading the iPad User's Guide that I downloaded from Apple's site. I keep hearing/reading about syncing. Could someone please tell me in plain English the meaning of the word "Sync" as it relates to the iPad? Thanks.

AE

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
it means syncing what is on you computer to your ipad. literally meaning keeping your devices in sync

i.e. music, pictures, movies etc

you will need to install itunes as well

Reaction score
Syncing means that it synchronizes the content on iTunes with your iPad. To do so, simply connect the iPad via the USB cable to the computer and start iTunes. It synchronizes automatically, unless you changed the settings to sync manually.

OP
Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Syncing means that it synchronizes the content on iTunes with your iPad. To do so, simply connect the iPad via the USB cable to the computer and start iTunes. It synchronizes automatically, unless you changed the settings to sync manually.

OK, now I got it.

I've got another question. My PC is from 2003. It has Windows XP. Is the age of the computer going to present a problem?

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Appsempire said:
OK, now I got it.

I've got another question. My PC is from 2003. It has Windows XP. Is the age of the computer going to present a problem?

should be fine, i have a dell inspiron 1010 running windows xp, a mini laptop

Reaction score
On Windows no problem, the newest iTunes 10 works on Windows XP and that is the only requirement.

Expect, your XP is 32bit, right? Because the x64 version of XP causes some trouble with iTunes and the iOS drivers. There is a work-a-round, but it's tedius.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
On Windows no problem, the newest iTunes 10 works on Windows XP and that is the only requirement.

Expect, your XP is 32bit, right? Because the x64 version of XP causes some trouble with iTunes and the iOS drivers. There is a work-a-round, but it's tedius.

glad the dell was the last pc/microsoft product i bought, so many years messing around with drivers etc, ive had enough lol

Reaction score
Wytey said:
glad the dell was the last pc/microsoft product i bought, so many years messing around with drivers etc, ive had enough lol

Well, it depends. Microsoft leaves you the option of fiddling around. Apple just stopped making iTunes 10 compatible with Mac OS X Tiger, which way got released in 2005, so 4 years after XP.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Well, it depends. Microsoft leaves you the option of fiddling around. Apple just stopped making iTunes 10 compatible with Mac OS X Tiger, which way got released in 2005, so 4 years after XP.

tbh, personally i have no probs with microsoft, i used to work for a computer reseller, it's family members when they decide to fiddle and break stuff lol

my mum has yet to break the macbook pro... touch wood! it is a good few years old now

OP
Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I believe that my XP is 32bit. But I'm not sure. How do I find out about that?

Most reactions