What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baltimore & Washington, D.C.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
National Portrait Gallery & American Art Museum

Located between F & G Streets near the Gallery Metro stop is the National Portrait Gallery & American Art Museum located in the same building - brief description below w/ MUCH more for those following the LINK - recommended!

This is a huge building w/ a wide variety of beautiful architecture at multiple levels - some of the pics below reflect this beauty. Numerous galleries are present w/ hundreds of works of art (e.g. the Smithsonian owns about 500 George Catlin paintings); as with the other museums in D.C., a quick perusal can take several hours, but a a more thorough review would occupy several days. One of my favorite areas is that w/ the historic portraits and those of the Presidents (some of the last pics below, including the recent ones of the Obamas - kind of like Michelle's painting but Barack's is rather weird to me). A MUST visit in my mind. Dave :)

The National Portrait Gallery is a historic art museum located between 7th, 9th, F, and G Streets NW in Washington, D.C., in the United States. Founded in 1962 and opened to the public in 1968, it is part of the Smithsonian Institution. Its collections focus on images of famous Americans. The museum is housed in the historic Old Patent Office Building, as is the Smithsonian American Art Museum. The two museums are the eponym for the Gallery Place Washington Metro station, located at the corner of F and 7th Streets NW. (Source)
PGallery_A1.jpg
PGallery_A2.jpg
PGallery_A3.jpg
PGallery_A4.jpg
PGallery_A5.jpg
PGallery_A6.jpg
PGallery_B1.jpg
PGallery_B2.jpg
PGallery_B3.jpg
PGallery_B4.jpg
PGallery_B5.jpg
PGallery_B6.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
National Museum of American History

The National Museum of American History is yet again a huge building w/ numerous exhibits on three floors, a cafe, movie theater (multiple selections), and a large gift shop - after a light lunch about noon, we spent the entire afternoon there - more information quoted below w/ a brief list of the attractions and exhibits arranged by floors w/ east and west wings.

Although we were planning on visiting another museum, we spent the entire afternoon in the American History Museum, and did not see all nor spend a lot of time reading the voluminous literature presented w/i each of the exhibits - my favorites from the list below were see the Star Spangled Banner, the First Ladies gowns, the Price of Freedom (on the US wars), and much more. Again, yet another MUST see when in D.C., but plan at least a half day there. Dave :)
  • Lower Level - Stars & Stripes Cafe
  • First Floor East Wing - Transportation & Technology (John Bull locomotive)
  • First Floor West Wing - Science & Innovation (Science in American Life)
  • Second Floor East Wing - American Ideals (includes Greensboro lunch counter)
  • Second Floor Center - Star Spangled Banner, Washington statue, & Museum Shop
  • Third Floor East Wing - US War (Price of Freedom), Gunboat, & Clara Barton ambulance
  • Third Floor West Wing - Entertainment, Sports, & Music Exhibits
The National Museum of American History: Kenneth E. Behring Center collects, preserves, and displays the heritage of the United States in the areas of social, political, cultural, scientific, and military history. Among the items on display is the original Star-Spangled Banner. The museum is part of the Smithsonian Institution. The museum opened in 1964 as the Museum of History and Technology. It was one of the last structures designed by the renowned architectural firm McKim Mead & White. In 1980, the museum was renamed the National Museum of American History to represent its mission of the collection, care, study, and interpretation of objects that reflect the experience of the American people. (Source)

The museum underwent an $85 million renovation from September 5, 2006 to November 21, 2008, during which time it was closed. Skidmore, Owings and Merrill provided the architecture and interior design services for the renovation, led by Gary Haney.[5] Major changes made during the renovation include:
  • A new, five-story sky-lit atrium, which is surrounded by displays of artifacts showcasing the collection.
  • A new, grand staircase that links the museum's first and second floors.
  • A new welcome center, and the addition of six landmark objects to orient visitors.
  • New galleries, such as the Jerome and Dorothy Lemelson Hall of Invention.
  • An environmentally controlled chamber to protect the original Star-Spangled Banner.
In 2012, the museum began a $37 million renovation of the west wing to add new exhibition spaces, public plazas and an education center. The renovation will also include panoramic windows overlooking the National Mall on all three floors and new interactive features to the exhibits. The first floor of the west wing reopened on July 1, 2015 with the second and third floors of the west wing reopening in 2016 and 2017, respectively. (Source)
AmHistory_A1.jpeg
AmHistory_A2.jpg
AmHistory_A3.jpg
AmHistory_A4a.jpg
AmHistory_A4b.JPG
AmHistory_A5.jpg
AmHistory_A6.jpg
AmHistory_B1.jpg
AmHistory_B2.jpg
AmHistory_B3.jpg
AmHistory_B4a.jpg
AmHistory_B4b.jpg
AmHistory_B5.jpg
AmHistory_B6.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
United States Botanic Garden

Despite my numerous visits to Washington, D.C. since the mid-1970s, I've never been to the United States Botanic Garden, so we decided to add to our selective list on this trip - some information below and in the links. The Gardens consist of two outdoor areas (see maps/pics) and a multi-room structure under glass (described in the 2nd quote - expand and check link if interested). "Presently, the United States Botanic Garden is home to almost 10,000 living specimens, some of them over 165 years old." (second link).

We really enjoyed visiting the gardens - numerous plants of all types - pics below are a combination of ones from the web (especially the first ones) and my own in the second half of images - Susan is resting on a bench and seems to be on her iPhone - :) Dave

Steeped in history, rich with tradition, the United States Botanic Garden (USBG) is a living plant museum that informs visitors about the importance, and often irreplaceable value, of plants to the well-being of humans and to earth's fragile ecosystems. More than 200 years ago, George Washington had a vision for the capital city of the United States that included a botanic garden that would demonstrate and promote the importance of plants to the young nation. Established by the U.S. Congress in 1820, the U.S. Botanic Garden is one of the oldest botanic gardens in North America. Since 1934, it has been administered through the Architect of the Capitol. (Source)

The historic Lord & Burnham greenhouse, built by the Architect of the Capitol in 1933, contains eight garden rooms under glass, totaling 28,944 square feet (2,689.0 m2) of growing space. In 2001, the Conservatory re-opened after a four-year renovation that required it to be completely dismantled and rebuilt using 21st century building standards. The Conservatory is divided into separate rooms, each simulating a unique habitat:
(Source)
BotanicalGarden_A1.JPG
BotanicalGarden_A2.jpg
BotanicalGarden_A3.jpg
BotanicalGarden_A4.jpg
BotanicalGarden_A5.jpg
BotanicalGarden_A6.jpg
BotanicalGarden_B1.JPG
BotanicalGarden_B2.JPG
BotanicalGarden_B3.JPG
BotanicalGarden_B4.JPG
BotanicalGarden_B5.JPG
BotanicalGarden_B6.JPG

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
United States Botanic Garden

Despite my numerous visits to Washington, D.C. since the mid-1970s, I've never been to the United States Botanic Garden, so we decided to add to our selective list on this trip - some information below and in the links. The Gardens consist of two outdoor areas (see maps/pics) and a multi-room structure under glass (described in the 2nd quote - expand and check link if interested). "Presently, the United States Botanic Garden is home to almost 10,000 living specimens, some of them over 165 years old." (second link).

We really enjoyed visiting the gardens - numerous plants of all types - pics below are a combination of ones from the web (especially the first ones) and my own in the second half of images - Susan is resting on a bench and seems to be on her iPhone - :) Dave

View attachment 82637 View attachment 82638 View attachment 82639 View attachment 82640 View attachment 82641 View attachment 82642 View attachment 82643 View attachment 82644 View attachment 82645 View attachment 82646 View attachment 82647 View attachment 82648
I had no idea that something like this was across the street from the Capitol Building. Thanks for posting about it.
The largest botanical garden of this type in the world is Kew Gardens in London, England. Some of the greenhouses in the complex resemble the one in Washington D.C.. Kew Gardens - Wikipedia

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Johanna & Scifan.. - thanks for the comments and links - just curious about 'greenhouses' around the world and found this site w/ some beautiful pics Greenhouses - both of the ones you two mentioned are in the slideshow. Dave :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
National Museum of the American Indian

One of our last visited museums (and for a third time) was the National Museum of the American Indian which is next to the Air and Space Museum and near the Botanic Garden. The building is beautiful w/ surrounding simulated wetlands; the inside has a large open area spanning the height of the structure. Because of my long interest in Native American history, this is probably one of my favorite museums to visit - much more in the quotes below and links.

Pics below from the web (except the one taken from one of the top floors) - the Mitsitam Cafe is not to be missed - the cafeteria has 5 stations representing Native American culture, mainly the types of foodstuffs used by these peoples - North, South, and Meso America are represented - I had ceviche from the South American & pine nut crusted salmon w/ two sides from the Pacific Northwest; Susan had a delicious bacon bison cheeseburger w/ homemade chips from the Great Plains.

The Museum Store is huge w/ all sorts of items including Native American made jewelry, sculptures, and other art works, some thousands of dollars - we picked up a few tee shirts, a necklace pouch for Susan, and the book below for me. This is yet another MUST visit - and definitely try the Cafe even if you are visiting other museums. Dave :)

The National Museum of the American Indian is part of the Smithsonian Institution and is committed to advancing knowledge and understanding of the Native cultures of the Western Hemisphere—past, present, and future—through partnership with Native people and others. The museum works to support the continuance of culture, traditional values, and transitions in contemporary Native life. It has three facilities: the National Museum of the American Indian on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., which opened on September 21, 2004, on Fourth Street and Independence Avenue, Southwest; the George Gustav Heye Center, a permanent museum in New York City; and the Cultural Resources Center, a research and collections facility in Suitland, Maryland. The foundations for the present collections were first assembled in the former Museum of the American Indian in New York City, which was established in 1916, and which became part of the Smithsonian in 1990. (Source)

The site on the National Mall was 15 years in the making, it is the first national museum in the country dedicated exclusively to Native Americans. The five-story, 250,000-square-foot, curvilinear building is clad in a golden-colored Kasota limestone designed to evoke natural rock formations shaped by wind and water over thousands of years. The museum is set in a 4.25 acres site and is surrounded by simulated wetlands. The museum's east-facing entrance, its prism window and its 120-foot high space for contemporary Native performances are direct results of extensive consultations with Native peoples. Similar to the Heye Center in Lower Manhattan, the museum offers a range of exhibitions, film and video screenings, school group programs, public programs and living culture presentations throughout the year.(Source)

The Mitsitam Native Foods Cafe is divided into Native regional sections such as the Northern Woodlands, South America, the Northwest Coast, Meso-America, and the Great Plains; The museum has published a Mitisam Cafe Cookbook. The only Native American groups not represented in the café are the south eastern tribes such as the Choctaw, Chickasaw, Cherokee and Seminole, many of which supported the United States throughout the tribes' histories. (Source)
NMAI_A1.jpg
NMAI_A2.jpg
NMAI_A3.jpg
NMAI_A4.png
NMAI_A5.JPG
NMAI_A6.png
NMAI_A7.jpg
NMAI_A8.jpg
NMAI_B1.jpg
NMAI_B2.jpg
NMAI_B3.jpg
NMAI_B4.jpg
NMAI_B5.jpg
NMAI_B6a.png
NMAI_B6b.jpg
NMAI_B7a.png
NMAI_B7b.jpg
NMAI_B8.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Johanna & Scifan.. - thanks for the comments and links - just curious about 'greenhouses' around the world and found this site w/ some beautiful pics Greenhouses - both of the ones you two mentioned are in the slideshow. Dave :)
Probably the largest glass building with a wrought iron frame was the Crystal Palace in London, England. It was destroyed by fire in 1936. The Crystal Palace - Wikipedia
images.jpeg

img.jpg

article-2130899-125DB2BF000005DC-135_634x456.jpg

Crystal_Palace_General_view_from_Water_Temple.jpg

Crystal-Palace.jpg

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Probably the largest glass building with a wrought iron frame was the Crystal Palace in London, England. It was destroyed by fire in 1936. The Crystal Palace - Wikipedia

A coincidence - just finished the book shown below on my iPad - there are about a half dozen pages on the Great Exhibition of 1851 put on by Queen Victoria & Prince Albert w/ a full description of the Crystal Palace - must have been an amazing presentation, event, and building. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 4.38.50 PM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A coincidence - just finished the book shown below on my iPad - there are about a half dozen pages on the Great Exhibition of 1851 put on by Queen Victoria & Prince Albert w/ a full description of the Crystal Palace - must have been an amazing presentation, event, and building. Dave :)
View attachment 82697
The foundations at the original site of the Great Exhibition of 1851 are still there, just under the grass.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dinners in Washington, D.C.

Washington, D.C. is one of the best USA cities for eating - just a tremendous variety of foods from all over the world w/ numerous restaurants - even our lunches at museums and cafeterias were excellent. We decided to just talk to the concierge at the Willard Hotel - he had a map + list - picked out the ones of interest after looking at the menus over our room Wi-Fi - I then used Open Table and made the reservations for our 4 nights - what did we do before the internet! ;)

So I'm posting mainly for those that are viewing this travelogue and may be going to D.C. - I've eaten at dozens of Washington restaurants over the decades and there is just a plethora of choices, but these are the four we picked for dinner; interestingly, Susan and I had identical dinners (or sharing) at each place:

Oceanaire - on F Street across from the Metro Center station; we both started w/ a house salad - then shared a dozen oysters from PEI (Prince Edward Island) and Maine (see pic below), followed by a jumbo crabmeat cocktail and a cold whole (small - 1 1/4 pound) Maine lobster - shared a sorbet dessert.

Zaytinya - short walk from the Portrait Gallery - Greek tapas and wine - we had 8 small plates, including squid, octopus, grape leaves, lamb meatballs, lamb kabob, spanokopita (spinach pie), plus a few others - a nice interlude between are shellfish dinners.

Old Ebbitt Grill - just around the corner from the Willard Hotel and across the street from the Treasury Building - meal similar to the Oceaniare, i.e. started w/ PEI & Maine oysters, shared a dozen clams and a half dozen jumbo shrimp; and each had the chilled Maine lobster.

Tosca - also on F street, just a half block more than the Metro Center station - northern Italian restaurant - menu HERE - decided to eat light (had too much lunch at the American Indian Museum Cafe), so started w/ a delicious chilled tomato soup and both had the seared octopus w/ fennel ("Seared octopus, cauliflower cream, shaved fennel with lemon dressing, pistachio pesto, chorizo oil") - ended w/ the sorbets and decaff cappuccinos.

All restaurants recommended if the menus appeal - BUT there were so many more w/i walking distance AND many more places to revisit or new ones to see! Dave :)
DinnerDC_A1.jpg
DinnerDC_A2.jpg
DinnerDC_A3.png
DinnerDC_A4.jpeg
DinnerDC_A5.jpg
DinnerDC_A6.png
DinnerDC_B1.jpg
DinnerDC_B2.jpg
DinnerDC_B3.png
DinnerDC_B4.jpg
DinnerDC_B5.jpg
DinnerDC_B6.jpg