What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bad 5d mkII photo convertion to Ipad

prins73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There seems to be a bad convertion from both compact flash card (via card reader and connector kit) and from my imac.There are "stripes" appearing across the photo, in/near the focus point, when I zoom into the photo.I have put alot of photos from my camera into the Ipad, but I just noticed this problem.Anyone else have this?It's not always easy to spot the lines/stripes, but when focusing on someones eyes, it is quite easy to see it. Very frustrating. I just tried to send one of them to me via email, and the line/stripe is there on my computer!iHeeelp....../prins73

OP
P

prins73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the images are totally fine with the Ipad out of the loop...

..and when transfering the photos to my imac, the photos are full size and fine again. Seems like the Ipad are making a "copied and bad converted" file of the original file to present it for you on the Ipad.
The good thing is that its possible to get the original sized image after all, the bad thing is that it lacks a bit when it comes to show details on the Ipad.

This should maybe be issued to apple as a bug?
Seems like the artifacts are always near the focus point in the pictures when used point-focus.....

LDBecker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RAW or jpeg

Are you putting them on the iPad in Raw or jpeg format?

I haven't tried putting any files from my 5DII on the iPad yet, but when I put them on from my 1DIII, I shoot RAW PLUS jpeg and put only the jpgs on the iPad.

I normally shoot ONLY RAW so I can work on them in Photoshop more freely, but when I want them on the iPad, I shoot jpegs also.

The 1DIII is a 10mp camera and the 5DII is a 21 mp camera. I even find the large jpgs from the 1DIII to be more than I want/need, so I reduce them down a bit. They look great on the iPad and don't take as much space.

How are you getting them on the iPad? The 5DII only takes CF cards, and the iPad takes SD cards... Are you using a USB reader through the Camera Connector?

Larry

OP
P

prins73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I mostly transfer jpeg files to my Ipad

I also have a panasonic compact camera that I transfer jpegs from, and these seems fine. It's definitely a problem with the high resolution from 5d mkII.
Have now tried 2 different 5d mkII cameras with the same issue.

I use cardreader connected to the connector kit via usb

bought cheap from dealextreme.com, but have also the apple one. The cheap one has both usb and sd card reader in same unit
/prins73

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts