What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backwards compability

Sortegrip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm planning on buying an iPad for my grandparents (88 and 85 years old).
They will only use 4-5 apps to keep track of us like Instagram, Safari, Dropbox, Wikipedia

My question to you who have the original iPad, is it common that apps are not backwards compatible?
Do you reckon they might have problems with apps not supporting their iPad version?
Also when browsing, is that a common issue or not?

Neither of us need that hassle so then I might buy a newer model.

Thankful for answers!

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been using my Ipad 1 for a couple of years or so and have not dicovered any problems using lots of apps I have downloaded.
I don't bother with games though, so it would be best to check the "requirements" for any you think they might want, to see if they need OS6 to work.

I can't imagaine any developers are specifically excluding owners with the original IPad so most games should work, though maybe a bit slower than the newer Ipads, and they would need to keep closing unused applications to stop overloading the RAM, but that is easy and quick to do.

The only reason I can think to go for a newer model would be if they want an integral camera for face-to-face communication.

For browsing using Safari I have no issues as it is faster than my laptop!!

OP
S

Sortegrip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer! Are there any limitations for iOS support on the original iPad?

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Original iPad does not support iOS 6. So as developers update there apps for the latest iOS, you will find more and more apps not available to you.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sortegrip said:
Thank you for your answer! Are there any limitations for iOS support on the original iPad?

Yes, the latest version of iOS available to the iPad 1 is iOS 5.1.1.

Most reactions