What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backup

cwejg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks
I am upgrading to a new ipad and wondering if the keychain with all of the passwords are backed up before I reset the old ipad? Also should I also turn off icloud drive?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi folks
I am upgrading to a new ipad and wondering if the keychain with all of the passwords are backed up before I reset the old ipad? Also should I also turn off icloud drive?
iCloud Keychain passwords are stored in iCloud and will be available to your new iPad as soon as you turn on iCloud Keychain on the new iPad. When you turn on iCloud Drive on your new iPad it will be able to access all your files stored in icloud. iCloud Drive FAQ
When you turn off iCloud Drive it won’t delete any files stored in iCloud but you will no longer be able to access them until iCloud Drive is turned on again.

OP
C

cwejg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iCloud Keychain passwords are stored in iCloud and will be available to your new iPad as soon as you turn on iCloud Keychain on the new iPad. When you turn on iCloud Drive on your new iPad it will be able to access all your files stored in icloud. iCloud Drive FAQ
When you turn off iCloud Drive it won’t delete any files stored in iCloud but you will no longer be able to access them until iCloud Drive is turned on again.

OP
C

cwejg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thahks I was just consis the filed in icloud drive would be delited when I wiped the old ipad

Thanks again
Chuck

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thahks I was just consis the filed in icloud drive would be delited when I wiped the old ipad

Thanks again
Chuck
You’re welcome.
BTW, make sure to back up your old iPad before erasing it so you can use that backup to set up your new iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have the option, the best method is to 'not' erase the old iPad until after you've restored and setup the new one. That way if a backup fails to work or something else goes wrong, you can start from scratch.

OP
C

cwejg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have the option, the best method is to 'not' erase the old iPad until after you've restored and setup the new one. That way if a backup fails to work or something else goes wrong, you can start from scratch.
With my luck something will go wrong! But thanks for the reminder.

Most reactions

Latest posts