What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backspace freezing

Tonies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm on my second Mini, just upgraded to 12. For some reason, every so often, the backspace button on the keyboard turns black and the whole thing freezes. What's going on and what can I do about it? Thanks.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm on my second Mini, just upgraded to 12. For some reason, every so often, the backspace button on the keyboard turns black and the whole thing freezes. What's going on and what can I do about it? Thanks.

Hi Tonies - welcome to the forum! :) First, tell us which Mini you now own - there have been 4 models, the latest being the Mini 4 (first released about 3 years ago). Second, was this a purchase of a 'new' iPad Mini or one that was used/refurbished? Third, any known damage to the Mini, e.g. drops, liquid spills, or other.

Finally, if not already done, reboot the device by holding down both the HOME & ON-OFF buttons until the Apple logo appears (may take 10 secs or so) - release both buttons and let the iPad restart - let us know if this helps. Dave :)

OP
T

Tonies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tonies - welcome to the forum! :) First, tell us which Mini you now own - there have been 4 models, the latest being the Mini 4 (first released about 3 years ago). Second, was this a purchase of a 'new' iPad Mini or one that was used/refurbished? Third, any known damage to the Mini, e.g. drops, liquid spills, or other.

Finally, if not already done, reboot the device by holding down both the HOME & ON-OFF buttons until the Apple logo appears (may take 10 secs or so) - release both buttons and let the iPad restart - let us know if this helps. Dave :)

Thank you,

It's brand new from the Apple store, maybe a couple of months ago, so almost certainly a 4. No drops, spills, gravitational overloads, zombie bites, etc. It and I lead a pretty staid life.

Rebooting does indeed work, but i of course lose whatever I am working on.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know if this is related, but my 2016 iPad Pro sees some lag from time to time when I'm accessing settings on the ipad. This seems to have begun with the upgrade to iOS 12. I'm hoping that iOS 12.1 coming out next week might fix this... and hopefully your problem too.

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have noticed this on my iPad Air2 as well. I can be writing something and decide to use the backspace and erase something, and nothing seems to happen for a few seconds.
5 or 6 seconds later it will leap back into life and start deleting.

This seems to happen most when I’ve been adding lots of quick text and moving the cursor around a lot.

As you say, let’s hope the next update helps.

Most reactions

Latest posts