What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

backing up to iCloud Office for Mac docs

longstick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear iPad forum members,

I have just registered, and wonder if anyone can answer this question, as I can't find the answer elsewhere.

I have just upgraded my iMac to Lion, and wanted to use my new iCloud account as an off-site back up for my documents. But I don't use iWork (if that is the right term for Pages, Numbers, etc), but use Office 2011 for Mac. From what I can see, Office docs aren't compatible for backing up to iCloud. I'm not the most computer literate person on the planet. Am I just being dumb?

with many thanks for any help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No, iCloud won't do this. It is primarily geared for backing up apps and iStore media, and keeping your information in sync. Applications will also be able to access it for off device storage, it is not a file sharing service. There is no way to access this data except through the app that stores it there (though it can be done from multiple devices with that app). GoodReader is the only example of this kind of app that I know of at the moment. The only exceptions (that I know of) are the the iWorks apps, and file sharing with them is limited to a browser interface at iCloud.com, and will only handle native file types (though I haven't actually tried to get around that, yet).

You will have better luck using DropBox or Box.net. Many of the Office compatible apps for the iPad have direct DropBox integration. A basic account is free.

OP
L

longstick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
great many thanks for your help with this. Will revert to dropbox.

Most reactions