What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backing up my....backup!

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello. New to the forums, but with my new iPad, I won't be a stranger.

I understand how iTunes handles the iPad backups automatically. However, I backup everything I have to another external hard drive that I keep in a safe deposit box at my bank. I swap out out two identical external drives about once every 10 days or so. That way I always have a complete backup that is safe and loss of data would be minimal in any kind of catastrophic event.

So, with that in mind, my question: What folders do I need to always backup to my external drive that would get me back up and running in some kind of freak laptop/iPad dual disaster (both stolen, lost in fire, etc.)?

In advance, thank you so much.

- Proud new iPad owner

OP
W

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the forum!

This is from the Apple website --

Thank you for the welcome! I had found that before I wrote. I understand how to backup the iTunes Media Folder with all the apps, music, etc. What I am wondering about is what folders do I backup to the external drive that has everything else regarding my iPad that I would need in a a catastrophic loss? When the iPad does a backup it isn't just backing up my media, right? The other stuff with settings, etc. is what I'm looking for.

Thanks again for the welcome!

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iPad: About backups

Expand About Syncing and Backups from the list. It will tell you what is backed up. At the bottom it lists the backup locations for the various operating systems. Windows 7 isn't listed, but it is probably the same as Vista.

Most reactions