What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backgrounder ios5

Timey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi everone, i recently upgraded my ipad to ios5 and then i jailbroken it, i noticed a couple days ago that backgrounder doesn't work, i tried installing it and once it respringed the springboard would just crash, i tried again today without using any time and same problem, i read some posts about backgrounder and it seems it works on iOS5, is there anything i can do to make it work? Or another cydia tweak like backgrounder?(I tried multifl0w but it doesn't really look that it backgrounds all apps as background did) thanks.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, I've not seen anything about it working. Only that it is NOT working on IOS5. You will just need to wait to see if the developer (or another developer, since the source code can be forked) will release an IOS5 compatible version, but I would not install it again until you see a concrete update with comments which indicate 5.0 support. Putting incompatible apps on your JB iPad is asking for trouble when you know they don't work ;)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And, just as an aside...

The developer of Backgrounder "released it into the wild" ages ago. He was no longer working on it and was no longer supporting it way back on 4.2.1, if I recall correctly.

IOW, don't hold your breath for a Backgrounder update for iOS 5, as I don't think it's going to happen.

Just my humble opinion...

Marilyn

OP
T

Timey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I see thanks a lot, guess i didn't understand what the guys in the forum meant, is there any other tweak like backgrounder? I could really use it. Thanks for help.

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I certainly hope it gets updated as I use it for things like keeping vnc connections open and wireless keyboard connections open while switching to other programs.

akspecs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Backgrounder is one of the most useful tweaks I've ever learned to use. I'm in the process of seeing if I can fix anything regarding this incompatibility. I'm testing to see if by switching a few constants in the code we can get around this incompatibility but no promises. I won't plan to upgrade to iOS 5 until I find a work around or fix for this. I'll post here with any new news.

akspecs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Backgrounder is one of the most useful tweaks I've ever learned to use. I'm in the process of seeing if I can fix anything regarding this incompatibility. I'm testing to see if by switching a few constants in the code we can get around this incompatibility but no promises. I won't plan to upgrade to iOS 5 until I find a work around or fix for this. I'll post here with any new news.

Good news - ashikase made the fix himself. Here's a direct download link to the .deb file that isn't hosted on the repos yet. Let me know if it works for your iPads, as for I have an iPad 2 on 4.3.3 - I got it working on my iPhone running iOS 5. As of yesterday when I got news of it's release.

Since I haven't posted enough PM me for a link to the downloads.

Let me know how it works for you guys.

akspecs

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you encountered any issues with use, since the site said it isn't finalized and isn't fully functional?

akspecs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you encountered any issues with use, since the site said it isn't finalized and isn't fully functional?
nothing serious. I use it to force backgrounding on a few apps that refuse to have it natively and it works just fine. Note that the only device I have on iOS 5 is an iPhone 3GS. Also, note that that release is made by the original dev himself. There is nothing to worry about. I haven't had my iPhone with the new backgrounder installed for iOS 5 crash once. There might be a cosmetic issue with enabling badges or status bar notifiers but honestly nothing that I've seen to affect core use.

Chays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
akspecs said:
Good news - ashikase made the fix himself. Here's a direct download link to the .deb file that isn't hosted on the repos yet. Let me know if it works for your iPads, as for I have an iPad 2 on 4.3.3 - I got it working on my iPhone running iOS 5. As of yesterday when I got news of it's release.

Since I haven't posted enough PM me for a link to the downloads.

Let me know how it works for you guys.

Hi,

Am I correct in say that this can only be done on a JB device?

Regards,
Chays

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Am I correct in say that this can only be done on a JB device?

Regards,
Chays

Yes, backgrounder is a jailbreak application to help you have more control over multi-tasking on IOS.

Chays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Yes, backgrounder is a jailbreak application to help you have more control over multi-tasking on IOS.

Hi,

Thanks for that, appreciate it. Learn cool stuff on here every day :D

Regards,
Chays

cubeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So i picked up Backgrounder from here as well. (I just up’d to ios 5.0.1) I have yet to find what it is conflicting with Backgrounder has a problem. I have noticed, after using SBSettings Substrate, by narrowing down to Backgrounder, that when trying to use programs, they open in a small window in the upper right hand corner. I turned off all of my mobile substrate and rebooted after turning each one back on. Backgrounder, when on, for some odd reason, makes all the apps that are opened go to 1/4 size.

This is fixable, by booting into safe mode, them back to normal. But if you have to reboot, then you get the prob again. When I find what app is conflicting, ill post.

~Athanasios

akspecs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So i picked up Backgrounder from here as well. (I just up’d to ios 5.0.1) I have yet to find what it is conflicting with Backgrounder has a problem. I have noticed, after using SBSettings Substrate, by narrowing down to Backgrounder, that when trying to use programs, they open in a small window in the upper right hand corner. I turned off all of my mobile substrate and rebooted after turning each one back on. Backgrounder, when on, for some odd reason, makes all the apps that are opened go to 1/4 size.

This is fixable, by booting into safe mode, them back to normal. But if you have to reboot, then you get the prob again. When I find what app is conflicting, ill post.

~Athanasios

Hey there! Have you figured out what the conflict is? I've been running into this problem quite a bit as well and am very disappointed because backgrounder was what made certain programs work the way they should for me.

Most reactions

Latest posts