What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back button

PRSS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everybody

I find there is no back button as in Android phones / devices. How do you back out? When I press the home button the application is still running in the background. I know there is round-about way to close the apps by double clicking the home button and then closing the apps. Is there a shortcut?

How to move icons from one pane to the other pane. It is possible to re-arrange the icons within a pane or page. But if I want to take an icon from the first pane to the next one how do I move it. It does not work like my android smart phone (Samsung galaxy S3).

Thanks in advance
PRSS

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello everybody

I find there is no back button as in Android phones / devices. How do you back out? When I press the home button the application is still running in the background. I know there is round-about way to close the apps by double clicking the home button and then closing the apps. Is there a shortcut?

How to move icons from one pane to the other pane. It is possible to re-arrange the icons within a pane or page. But if I want to take an icon from the first pane to the next one how do I move it. It does not work like my android smart phone (Samsung galaxy S3).

Thanks in advance
PRSS

Hi PRSS,

Welcome aboard.

I don't have an answer to your first question. You are doing what we all do.

Now, re your second question. I see that you can move icons on a screen. To move an icon to another screen, I make space available in the bottom most row by moving icon/s from there into a spare space in the main screen.

Then, I shift icons I want to transfer to another screen into the bottom pst row which is accessible from all screens, apart from the first screen which is used for searching the iPad. Swipe to the destination screen and move the icons up to the main screen.

HTH

BTW. Do you know that you can create folders in each screen?

The iPad users manual is free in the store and very useful, with numerous tips & tricks explained.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everybody

Usually, an app has a way to go back to it's main ("Home") screen - the one you see when you first open the app. Just keep looking for an arrow (usually in the upper left). Pressing the physical Home button returns you to the main screen. But - an Apple device is different from an Android-running device in that any apps that are closed will cease to run after a little bit. The icons will still be there, but they are not running. Note that this is different from ones that are designed to run when you close the app (such as music players). Those, you either have to stop them from within the app or do the double-click to stop them. But - that is by deliberate design and if an app is not designed to keep running when you close it - it will close. The iOS has very efficient app-management programming and you can trust that those apps are, indeed, NOT running when you close them with that Home button press.

There is much discussion over this feature. If you want more, may I suggest you start here with Apple's explanation of what is actually happening "under the hood": http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4211

Thanks in advance
PRSS

To move icons, press and hold one icon until they all start to wiggle. Then, touch and hold the icon you wish to move to another page and drag it to the side of the page you're on. Hold it there until the page turns, then release it on the new page. It takes a bit of practice to get the page to turn (you have to hold it for a bit) - but it becomes easier with practice.

What a lot of people do (myself included) is, after you've started the icons wiggling, move all the icons off the Dock (the line at the bottom). Then, you can put up to six apps on that dock. Then, swipe to go to the page where you want to place those icons and, once you are there, move the icons off the dock and arrange them on the new page. Once you are done moving icons around, just put the icons you had on the dock originally back.

Once you are done, press the Home button once to make the icons stop wiggling. Done! :)

Hope this helps. Holler back if you need more assistance. Oh, and welcome to the forum! Good to "see" you and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Marilyn

OP
PRSS

PRSS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much Richard Brown & Mickey330. Glad that I joined the forum at the right time with such helpful people. The link is a very useful one.

With best regards
PRSS

Most reactions

Latest posts