What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.avi files

ipad mini newbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I don't have iTunes available in my location.i have .avi videos in my cloud that I want to run on ipad. How can I watch those or convert them

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad mini newbie said:
Hi,
I don't have iTunes available in my location.i have .avi videos in my cloud that I want to run on ipad. How can I watch those or convert them

I wanted to send a bunch of .avi files to my sister in England for her to watch on her iPad 3. I had to convert them to MPEG4 or H264 first using a free YouTube downloaded on my Dell laptop. Take a look here.... http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OPlayer is supposed to handle avi files. How you get them from the cloud to OPlayer I can't guess without knowing what cloud service; even then maybe not.

OP
I

ipad mini newbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
OPlayer is supposed to handle avi files. How you get them from the cloud to OPlayer I can't guess without knowing what cloud service; even then maybe not.

I'm using box!

BocataDeChoped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you don't have access to the AppStore grab a computer and remux the AVI files into MP4 (most likely you won't need to transcode the whole movie).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm using box!

OPlayer has FTP. It also supports DropBox directly.

You should still be able to use Box, but not quite as directly. You would use the Box app to locate the file and select it, then tap the cloud/arrow icon at the top right and choose Open In. OPlayer should be one of your options.

Hold in mind that video files are usually quite large, and avi is no exception. If the video is more than a few minutes long this could take so long that the iPad times out and interrupts the download. If it does you should be able to turn off auto-lock under Settings > General. Don't back ground the task, as that will time out in 10 minutes.

If you look at he description for OPlayer in the App Store you'll see several other methods for importing files.

There are several other video/audio player apps in the App Store. Some might be better for your purposes. I keep OPlayer around for the occasional odd video that works no where else.

Most reactions

Latest posts