What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Available space problem

longrob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello

I am trying to help my wife out. She has had an ipad 2 for a few months. Today she was unable to use the camera. It says "Cannot take Photo. There is not enough disk space to continue taking photos. Make room by deleting existing video or photos". So we went to the "Photos" gallery and deleted around half of them - but alas it still gives the same message, and under settings->General->About, it shows Capcity:14GB and Available: 0 bytes. We also tried deleting some apps (mainly games that were pre-installed I think) but this hasn't helped either. I have tried to reset/reboot with home+sleep button for 10 secs, but this does not help either.

If anyone could provide some advice I would be very grateful.

Thanks
LR

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
longrob said:
Hello

I am trying to help my wife out. She has had an ipad 2 for a few months. Today she was unable to use the camera. It says "Cannot take Photo. There is not enough disk space to continue taking photos. Make room by deleting existing video or photos". So we went to the "Photos" gallery and deleted around half of them - but alas it still gives the same message, and under settings->General->About, it shows Capcity:14GB and Available: 0 bytes. We also tried deleting some apps (mainly games that were pre-installed I think) but this hasn't helped either. I have tried to reset/reboot with home+sleep button for 10 secs, but this does not help either.

If anyone could provide some advice I would be very grateful.

Thanks
LR

What version of ios Is running on this iPad? Need to know as obtaining storage data varies.

OP
L

longrob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I know very little about computers - in the General->About, it shows Version 4.3.5 (8L1) and Model: MC979TH : does this help ?

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
longrob said:
Thanks for your reply. I know very little about computers - in the General->About, it shows Version 4.3.5 (8L1) and Model: MC979TH : does this help ?

Was it synced to iTunes recently?

OP
L

longrob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure what that means, but we don't use itunes much - not for a month or so anyway. My wife just uses it for talking to her friends and playing games.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
4.3 provides little detail on storage on the iPad itself. Categories counts and cumulative storage totals.

iTunes will provide more granular info on storage usage.

Open iTunes and attach your iPad via the cable. Once you do it may sync depending on how iTunes is configured. In any case you will see storage info on a horizontal bar chart on the bottom of the screen. I believe you can drill into the categories from there to determine what can be deleted.

Bear in mind sync settings will repopulate media objects...music, movies, pics to the iPad if so configured under iTunes preferences.

So if you want to delete from iPad but keep on PC be cautious with how the settings are configured and from where you delete the objects to c,ear space on the iPad.

OP
L

longrob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again.
"attach your iPad via the cable" Do you mean the power cable for recharging the battery ? That's the only cable we have as far as I know...we've never connected it to a PC before. Please advise. Thanks.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
longrob said:
Thanks again.
"attach your iPad via the cable" Do you mean the power cable for recharging the battery ? That's the only cable we have as far as I know...we've never connected it to a PC before. Please advise. Thanks.

Correct. Unplug cable from A/C adapter, this exposes a USB connector that you plug into your PC.

Odd if iPad was never connected...but I digress...

On PC make sure you have current version of iTunes installed then connect the iPad with iTunes open.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To simplify....my guess is video is chewing up your space. Delete videos not pics and space will free up quickly.

OP
L

longrob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We don't have iTunes on our PC. I don't understand how this is relevant. Do I have to install it on the PC ? It doesn't even have an internet connection.... confusing... please advise.

OP
L

longrob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All videos were deleted. Previously we had 4 videos (10-20 secs each) and 228 photos. Now down to 0 videos and 96 photos. Don't really want to delete those as they are precious.

OP
L

longrob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used a friend's laptop with itunes installed and connected the ipad. It says "IPad sync is complete. OK to disconnect". I still can't take any photo with the ipad and it still says Available:0 bytes.
Thanks again in advance for any more help....

OP
L

longrob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I found the problem. In itunes I can see it shows the breakdown of capacity. It is almost all "Apps". However, my wife did not download any apps as far as she knows. Is there some way to find which apps are taking most space and delete them ? Any other advice ? Thanks again

OP
L

longrob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have deleted some more applications. But it still says : Available: 0 bytes
:(

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
longrob said:
I think I found the problem. In itunes I can see it shows the breakdown of capacity. It is almost all "Apps". However, my wife did not download any apps as far as she knows. Is there some way to find which apps are taking most space and delete them ? Any other advice ? Thanks again

iTunes manages the iPad. If you don't connect you must proceed as you are now by not knowing where the storage is allocated. You ate down rev as ver 5.1 is most recent and allows storage breakdown at iPad level.

That or start deleting apps right from the iPad. Long tap an icon until plus sign appears, release, tap plus sign, delete app.

Most reactions

Latest posts