What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Availability - or sellout on first day

OP
Z

Zmanga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm gonna brave the lines. I'd really like to have mine on Friday, 3/11. If they are sold out at the store, then, and only then, i'll go ahead and order online. I don't want to have to wait any longer. I've already been waiting since about December. In Dec, I decided I wanted one, but decided to wait until the iPad 2 was realeased...so i've waited long enough.

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im braving the lines and treating the ordeal like a Black Friday event. My wife is ordering hers on line as soon as they become available. She can wait but Im impatient and wants things ASAP.

Rydogg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I gotta admit, I like the look but there's just not enough change to put me back in the buy it section. I mean the os update is great. But to have a phone better than a huge iPod is a little upsetting. I've been hooked on all apple products but I think I'll wait for the iPad 3. I got the first gen, all iPhone gens MacBooks and stuff. But the bother for me is not much change. Faster is definitely great but just adding cameras doesnt work for me. I already don't use the camera on my MacBook that much and to hold up a big pad is even more clunky. I'm still looking to find the reason to upgrade but at the moment to at the least not improve for retina display is a really cheap missing upgrade bummer. Riding the fence here folks... Any real pros? Really want to justify the purchase. Help

TillysWilly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i think im gonna brave the line im gonna wait and see im gonna get there about 330 and see what they look like but im plaining on braving it myself

fixerman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
Any iPad 2s ordered by early next week will get to you on time. Wal-mart and Best Buy will have them, but in limited quantities. It looks like there will be a lot of buyers. A reseller of electronic gear bought only 1200 earlier models of iPhones from people wanting the iPhone 4. He already has 2000 iPads from people going to upgrade.

You guys in the USA are the lucky ones. Here in the UK we have to wait until March 25th for the first iPad2.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rydogg;I'm still looking to find the reason to upgrade but at the moment to at the least not improve for retina display is a really cheap missing upgrade bummer. Riding the fence here folks... Any real pros? Really want to justify the purchase. Help[/QUOTE said:
I am surprised you stated "not improve to retina display is cheap.. "
I guess you don't understand that it is at this point in time not economic and not to mention to be able to produce 10 million screens for this current model iPad. If it was economical and if the suppliers could deliver on time that's a different story but they cannot simple as that. Apple wants to sell over 20 million plus iPad 2 model and they already have spent billions buying up screens and other items they need and paid for in advance

Frankly what Apple has done in the upgrade for iPad 2 once again sets a new standard. Major competitors like samsung and others are going back to the drawing board as their current products in the pipe line do not cut it.

Last edited:

Rydogg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Col.bris

Yes I think it's cheap to not add retina display at the least. And to sell basic accessories is as bad as the iphone4 free bumper routine. Look at the price. If we go for economics with apple, how much are they paying children to assembly these expensive set of gadgets lol. We must not forget the overworked laborers from other countries that apple has outsourced to. And true it is a lot of iPads to be produced. But I don't think they only design one product at a time. There is plenty of planing and creativity involved I bet. We (including myself and you) are like squirrels , sometimes we just can't resist the shine. Because if we could sales would plummet lol. Well I'm trying to break the mold by pretty much holding out for a more suitable product, not an old chip in a newer package.

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best Buy says it's going to be available on the 11th and they're already showing them on their site.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Rydogg said:
Col.bris

Yes I think it's cheap to not add retina display at the least. And to sell basic accessories is as bad as the iphone4 free bumper routine. Look at the price. If we go for economics with apple, how much are they paying children to assembly these expensive set of gadgets lol. We must not forget the overworked laborers from other countries that apple has outsourced to. And true it is a lot of iPads to be produced. But I don't think they only design one product at a time. There is plenty of planing and creativity involved I bet. We (including myself and you) are like squirrels , sometimes we just can't resist the shine. Because if we could sales would plummet lol. Well I'm trying to break the mold by pretty much holding out for a more suitable product, not an old chip in a newer package.

If you don't like apples business model, don't buy it...mmkay? ;)

Rydogg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol don't be upset, just looking at the broader picture. U buy one for u and that's great, but when I buy one I have to buy more than one. 5. Of course I like idiot gadgets but in my household there's nothing wrong with sending out some gifts to the kids in college. Sooo lol with everyone having their own in my family is a big deal because we play alot of apps together on the old ones. Just not 100 % sold on the new. We like it but still flipping the coin. Mmmkay? Lol it's just an opinion mmkay? Isn't that like the teacher on south park? Lmao mmkay ok ? Ah iPad n Netflix ! Hey thanks ! U usin the south park teacher thing helped lol I think we will do some people watching Friday! .. Thanks mmkay? Lol you are hilarious! Coolest person I met in an app!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The lack of retina display is about what and what not Appe was able to get from their vendors. Apple, or whoever, developed a high resolution screen for the iPad and took it around to their vendors. The vendors said that they could do it, it would cost $X per unit and they could make YYYY a day. Apple says, we need 3YYYY a day to meet expected demand. Vendors say, cannot do because we do not have enough of the equipment needed to do the job. Maybe a strike, or lack of skilled personnel, or other issues made it impossible. And it did not have to be a vendor issue, even though that is the rumor. It could be that the engineers were tasked with a high resolution screen that used less power. Higher resolution, especially retina displays can be real power hogs. On a small screen, they have ways to overcome the problem, but what if the engineers found that they could not make it work on larger sizes? Apple will never let the competition know the details of what went into their decision making, so we will probably never really know the answers. apple had to make a decsion on what features they could include and still meet the price target. That is the reality. Wish lists are only effective if they can be accomplished within the fiscal goals.

nasomi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll be at bestbuy at roughly 3:30. I'm going in later today to see what they know about available stock. If that doesn't cut it, i'll order from apple site that day.

Most reactions

Latest posts