What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Autofill email is driving me nuts

BC1973

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all. Is there a way of making a particular email address of mine the default choice for autocorrect? Currently whenever I start typing an address in it defaults to my work address. Hitting the x button is tricky as it's small and even then, as my work address is similar to my personal one, it then tries to add it again. I end up with something like xxxx@[email protected] I use my personal address far more than the work one and it's first in my address book whereas my work one is third.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well that sounds very annoying! If you mean that the iPad auto-inserts your work email in the body of a document such as email, Pages, etc. there's a work-around that might help.

The iPad never corrects a word in the Contacts list. Try entering your personal email address slightly differently. If it's currently "[email protected]" change it to "[email protected]"...something of that nature. (Email servers don't differentiate between upper and lowercase letters).

To get it to take effect you may need to reset your dictionary:

Settings' > General > Reset > Reset Keyboard Dictionary.

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
Well that sounds very annoying! If you mean that the iPad auto-inserts your work email in the body of a document such as email, Pages, etc. there's a work-around that might help.

The iPad never corrects a word in the Contacts list. Try entering your personal email address slightly differently. If it's currently "[email protected]" change it to "[email protected]"...something of that nature. (Email servers don't differentiate between upper and lowercase letters).

To get it to take effect you may need to reset your dictionary:

Settings' > General > Reset > Reset Keyboard Dictionary.

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!

Think you are on the right track here, auto correct kept inserting hte for 'the' early days, cleared custom dictionary to cure it.

Be nice if we could edit the auto correct file as you can in M$ Word instead of block delete, wonder if that option will come sometime in new iOS 5?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think you are on the right track here, auto correct kept inserting hte for 'the' early days, cleared custom dictionary to cure it.

Be nice if we could edit the auto correct file as you can in M$ Word instead of block delete, wonder if that option will come sometime in new iOS 5?
I haven't seen anything about being able to edit the iPad's dictionary in iOS 5...someone would probably have mentioned it. We'll know in about 24 hours or so though.

Did you try deleting your personal email address and re-add it as suggested? I'm pretty sure that will work but confirmation would be nice. TIA.

PDB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I disabled auto-correct on day 2 (once i figuered out how to...). Most backwards implementation I have come across...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
One improvement that has been mentioned with iOS 5, it will be possible turn off autocorrect but leave spell check on. The red lines of correction march on.

OP
BC1973

BC1973

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks people. I've tried resetting and capitalising my email address so I should see some results soon. Thanks again.

Elijenay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Auto correct

I thought I would love auto correct but it keeps changing my name! Any idea how to make it recognize a unique name?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Elijenay said:
I thought I would love auto correct but it keeps changing my name! Any idea how to make it recognize a unique name?

Now, I've seen this mentioned before by a more esteemed moderator but apparently if you put your name in your contacts app it will then recognise it.....if I'm wrong I'll blame someone else!

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts