What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Autocorrecting my password?!

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I am typing my password in an app or I safari, my iPad gives me one of those "suggested" words that it thinks I'm typing. If there are people around me looking at my screen I don't want them to see what I am trying to type or what I've already typed for my password. Is this a problem with ios5? (note: I know a solution would be to turn it off completely, but I type a lot of reports on my iPad and it helps me quite a bit, so overall I need it enabled most of the time)

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why don't you use shortcuts in settings - general - keyboard - shortcuts.
I use it for quick typing of email addresses and words the autocorrect doesn't like. I know it doesn't like hell so I've made it my shortcut. No problems now.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
Why don't you use shortcuts in settings - general - keyboard - shortcuts.
I use it for quick typing of email addresses and words the autocorrect doesn't like. I know it doesn't like hell so I've made it my shortcut. No problems now.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

It's not exactly autocorrecting, I've gotten Manuel correct from Cydia, so it won't replace it unless I click the suggested word. My thing is that why is there a suggested word in the password field?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The best solution is not to use real words, or all letter combinations, for passwords. You shouldn't anyway, they are easier to guess/break, and a number or symbol in the password will quickly eliminate any suggestions.

OP
Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
The best solution is not to use real words, or all letter combinations, for passwords. You shouldn't anyway, they are easier to guess/break, and a number or symbol in the password will quickly eliminate any suggestions.

But that is beside the point, this is something apple needs to look into; just like unlocking password protected ipads with a smart cover

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You're right, it's a problem, but you might also consider this.

If I'm close enough and in position to see autocorrect, I'm certainly close enough to see what keys you're tapping.

Now, if you were giving a presentation and typing your stuff on a big screen in front of an audience, it would be a real problem. But then, even the momentary display of each character before it becomes a dot would be a big problem.

Computer, iPad, iPhone, or other, never type your password while others can see what you are doing, especially on a mobile device where both screen and keyboard are often the same thing. On the iPhone, each key pops a nice big letter above your finger. If you can see the screen, you can steal the password (providing you've got a decent memory).

Any keyboard entry of passwords is intrinsically vulnerable to shoulder surfing.

Most reactions