What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto on/off with cover

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
According to the IPad 2 manual in the settings you are supposed to be able to turn on this feature. I don't have my cover yet, it's in the mail but anyway I can't find this option anywhere in the settings. Where is it?

Djdan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I could be wrong here, but I believe the option appears in the Settings / General menu after it recognizes the smart cover in use for the first time. Pretty sure that was the case for me last weekend when I finally down a 2.

Reaction score
The settings is under
Settings->General->iPad Cover Lock/Unlock

Hm, haven't tested, whether the setting only appears after a cover is attached the first time. If so, you could try sliding a magnet over the iPad bezel and see, whether that unburries the setting.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The settings is under
Settings->General->iPad Cover Lock/Unlock

Hm, haven't tested, whether the setting only appears after a cover is attached the first time. If so, you could try sliding a magnet over the iPad bezel and see, whether that unburries the setting.

Just follow the above, this is exactly right.

You don't need the cover to set the magnetic switch option. Any magnetic will work. The sensitive location is about 2" down from the upper right hand corner when in the portrait orientation along the right hand edge.

If you bring the magnet close it will turn off ... move the magnet away it turns on. That is the action of the Smart Cover.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
The question is, whether the SmartCover has to be used at least once, before the setting appears, or if it is always present. It would seem Apple like to hide the setting, until it is needed.

" I can't find this option anywhere in the settings. Where is it?" sounds like he/she wanted to know where the setting was to me.

64GB 3G White iPad

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He/she asked where the settings were and Alex said nowhere.

64GB 3G White iPad

Reaction score
Ncaissie said:
He/she asked where the settings were and Alex said nowhere.

64GB 3G White iPad

Yes, as of now nowhere, because the Cover is still in the Mail and since Apple doesn't want to confuse users, they hide every possible option, unless it is really required. So it seems that without activating the magnetic sensor at least once, is there no option to turn the setting on.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Yes, as of now nowhere, because the Cover is still in the Mail and since Apple doesn't want to confuse users, they hide every possible option, unless it is really required. So it seems that without activating the magnetic sensor at least once, is there no option to turn the setting on.

That is stupid. And apple users wonder why windows users think the OSx sucks and is for people that can't be trusted with configuring their own system.

64GB 3G White iPad

OP
D

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Idug out a refrig magnet and moved it around till the screen went blank. Now the option is there.

OP
D

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DavidM said:
According to the IPad 2 manual in the settings you are supposed to be able to turn on this feature. I don't have my cover yet, it's in the mail but anyway I can't find this option anywhere in the settings. Where is it?

Nowhere

It would be nice if you deleted this post. It just confuses and is not helpful at all.

So because you are confused I'm supposed to delete a question. Maybe the other poster was right, apple has to out think the end user by making it a no brainer.

Mav777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's under General Settings for me, iPad cover Lock/Unlock....

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions