What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Austrian Sights

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 66587 The landmark of Donnerskirchen, the church of St. Martin, is clearly visible from far away.

The fortress church/mountain church was built by Prince Paul Esterházy in 1676. The baroque church was the last refuge of the local population in times of war (e.g. during the Turkish wars).

The church was strategically important during WW II. Just like Lake Neusiedl and Forchtenstein Castle, it was marked on every map of the Allies, thus serving as important pointer for allied bombers.

The church is often used for concerts.

It was closed when I went up there today. Here are the photos I could take:
View attachment 66578
View attachment 66579
View attachment 66580
View attachment 66581
View attachment 66582
View attachment 66583
And the view from there
View attachment 66584
View attachment 66585
My car down there
View attachment 66586
You've got some amazing views of the town from the church. Is the church still used for regular services?

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You've got some amazing views of the town from the church. Is the church still used for regular services?
Yes, it is.
One of my colleague's friends got married there a few months ago, e.g.

Last edited:
OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Roman quarry near St. Margarethen is one of Europe's oldest quarries. In the 1st century, Romans used the lime sandstone to build Carnuntum. Later, the sandstone was used for St. Stephen's Cathedral, as well as for buildings along Vienna's Ring Road.

In summer, operas are performed there. This year, it was Tosca - the last performance was on Sunday. The director was Robert Dornhelm, btw. Maybe he's known to some.

There are two stages. The one where Tosca was performed this year, has about 5.000 seats. The smaller one has about 2.200 seats. Every 4 years (2016 will be one of these), the bigger stage is used for St. Margarethen's Passion Play, where the inhabitants of this village perform the Passion of Christ.

Guided tours are before noon in summer, at 10.30 am, every day.
I was there in the afternoon, so these are the pictures I was able to take from outside the quarry:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This angel was part of the stage this year.

Last edited:
OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In 1959, an Austrian sculptor, Karl Prantl, had the idea to organize an international sculpture symposium. The first one took place in an abandoned (at that time) quarry in St. Margarethen in Burgenland, with many to follow there.

Since then, 110 international artists created more than 150 sculptures, from 1957 to 1977. 60 of these sculptures can still be found on their original location. Some are inside the quarry, some of them outside.

Just a few of the sculptures from the hill behind the quarry:
image.jpeg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439844127.643310.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439844149.499985.jpg

The view from the hill behind the quarry towards Rust and Lake Neusiedl
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439844195.311851.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Roman quarry near St. Margarethen is one of Europe's oldest quarries. In the 1st century, Romans used the lime sandstone to build Carnuntum. Later, the sandstone was used for St. Stephen's Cathedral, as well as for buildings along Vienna's Ring Road.

In summer, operas are performed there. This year, it was Tosca - the last performance was on Sunday. The director was Robert Dornhelm, btw. Maybe he's known to some.

There are two stages. The one where Tosca was performed this year, has about 5.000 seats. The smaller one has about 2.200 seats. Every 4 years (2016 will be one of these), the bigger stage is used for St. Margarethen's Passion Play, where the inhabitants of this village perform the Passion of Christ.

Guided tours are before noon in summer, at 10.30 am, every day.
I was there in the afternoon, so these are the pictures I was able to take from outside the quarry:
View attachment 66643
View attachment 66644
View attachment 66645
View attachment 66646
This angel was part of the stage this year.

In 1959, an Austrian sculptor, Karl Prantl, had the idea to organize an international sculpture symposium. The first one took place in an abandoned (at that time) quarry in St. Margarethen in Burgenland, with many to follow there.

Since then, 110 international artists created more than 150 sculptures, from 1957 to 1977. 60 of these sculptures can still be found on their original location. Some are inside the quarry, some of them outside.

Just a few of the sculptures from the hill behind the quarry:
View attachment 66648
View attachment 66649
View attachment 66650
The view from the hill behind the quarry towards Rust and Lake Neusiedl
View attachment 66651
It's amazing what can be done to bring an abandoned site back to life. Thanks for the wonderful pictures.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lovely photos (all of them) but especially those around the Grossglockner. We have stayed in Bruck 4 times over some 16 years, at Sportcamp Woferlgut, and have been up the Hochalpenstrasse several times each visit. Needless to say, but a beautiful area for walking, driving, cycling (the people you pass who are cycling up the Hochalpenstrasse !!!) etc. and skiing, although we have only been in the summer. For those interested, in early June, I assume each year as they were there both last year and this year, hoards of Vespas from many countries descend on Zell am See and then head up many of the roads including up to the Hochalpenstrasse. Long drive to Zell am See from the UK, but well worth it if you can get away for 2 or 3 weeks.

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you! That's something I didn't know.

Your post reminded me of something else:
Every year in July, the Tour of Austria, a bicycle race across Austria, takes place. A part of Großglockner Hochalpenstraße is one of the courses.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
...Every year in July, the Tour of Austria, a bicycle race across Austria, takes place. A part of Großglockner Hochalpenstraße is one of the courses.

Makes my legs ache just thinking of doing that

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Burgenland's highest point is the Geschriebenstein, or Írottkö, translated to Hungarian ("written stone" in English), at 884 m, which is not really high, when compared to our highest mountain, Großglockner, with more than 3000 m. Írottkö is located in Köszeg Mountains (German: Günser Gebirge), named after the Hungarian town Köszeg.
image.jpeg

To get close to the peak, you'll have to drive from Lockenhaus to Rechnitz, or vice versa.

There's a parking area next to the street. From there, you have the possibility to take a walk to Hirschenstein (45 minutes), to the tree top walk (posted before), or to cross the street and walk towards the border between Austria and Hungary. The latter is what I did today

It takes about 30 minutes to get to the border/Geschriebenstein. There's a broad and not steep path leading to the "peak". Just two examples:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The peak is marked by this summit cross:
image.jpeg

You'll find it just before you get to an area without trees, where there's this viewing point:
image.jpeg

The building is standing on the border between Austria and Hungary, and it's possible to climb up there and take a look at Southern Burgenland and Hungary. We had a stormy day today, and it was a bit misty down there, so the pictures I got are not really worth posting.

Last edited:
OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Franz Liszt's birthplace

On my way to Burgenland's highest point, I visited Raiding, where composer Franz Liszt was born on October 22, 1811.

Visitors are welcomed by Franz Liszt himself when driving into the village.
image.jpeg

It's easy to find Liszt's birthplace. As soon as you're in "Lisztstraße", you'll also find signposts, leading to "Lisztmuseum" and a parking area behind it.

You can access the Museum from the front side, which looks like this
image.jpeg

or from the parking area, where you'll find a few sculptures as well:
image.jpeg

The Museum consists of the house where the composer was born, as well as a concert hall.

Usually, it's possible to see both. When I visited the museum, I wasn't allowed to look around the concert house, because someone was recording a CD in there.
So all I could do is take a look at Liszt's birth house.
image.jpeg

Front side of the house, with entrance:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Audio tours are available, in German and Hungarian. Guided tours are every third Thursday of every month, at 3:00 pm. If you prefer to see the exhibition without any guide, you'll find explanatory notes in German, English, French and Hungarian inside the building.

A few pictures from inside the building:
A bust of the composer
image.jpeg

Possibilities to listen to some of Liszt's compositions
image.jpeg

Instruments, like the organ from Raiding
image.jpeg

the piano which he often used
image.jpeg

A replica of the baptismal font where he was christened
image.jpeg

His death mask
image.jpeg

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Raiding
What you can find around the museum, and in the village as well, is this sign on the floor:
image.jpeg

If you decide to follow it, you'll find a few interesting surprises in Lisztstraße. One of these is this huge piano, about 1,70 m high, which shows how it works:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Another one is this red box. There's a table with instructions and informations, and a button next to it. When you press the button, the box will play Liszt's "Liebestraum" (Dreams of Love), the whole composition, which can still be heard, even when you're quite a few metres away. :oops: Guess why I know this. :rolleyes:
image.jpeg

And, of course, Franz Liszt himself. He's omnipresent in Raiding, it seems.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Raiding
What you can find around the museum, and in the village as well, is this sign on the floor:
View attachment 66927
If you decide to follow it, you'll find a few interesting surprises in Lisztstraße. One of these is this huge piano, about 1,70 m high, which shows how it works:
View attachment 66928
View attachment 66929
Another one is this red box. There's a table with instructions and informations, and a button next to it. When you press the button, the box will play Liszt's "Liebestraum" (Dreams of Love), the whole composition, which can still be heard, even when you're quite a few metres away. :oops:
View attachment 66930
And, of course, Franz Liszt himself. He's omnipresent in Raiding, it seems.
View attachment 66931
Thanks for the very nice post. It's almost like being there.

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Haus der Musik (House of Music), Vienna

If you love music, this museum is what you need to visit. It's not only about music and composers, it's about everything you're able to hear, about sound in general.

The exhibition is spread across four floors. To access the first floor, you can use these stairs, which are playing a note when you "mount" them (if you're lucky enough and there aren't children stepping up and down the stairs, you're able to do this yourself).
image.jpeg

Or, as a grown adult, you use the space next to that part playing the notes, and walk up there in dignity, while in your mind lamenting the fact that you're supposed to act generously, not brushing off the children (or trying to convince their parents that running up and down five times is enough), just to try this yourself. ;)

These stairs are a kind of symbol for the whole exhibition. Not only do you see and read, most of all this is meant to experience music - listen, experiment, do. This is an interactive exhibition, and if you try a few things there, you'll have a lot of fun.

The first floor is dedicated to Vienna Philharmonics. Besides the usual things to see, such as this
image.jpeg

you'll also find a place where you can act as a "composer" by rolling two dices. As expected, this place is mostly occupied by children, so again no chance for my daughter to try it even once (she was waiting for quite a while there). The results sound quite good, so I was listening too for some time.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It's possible to get the composition in printed form afterwards. All you have to do, is to remember your number, and pay for it. :)

Many of the rooms are dark, and so is the first one on the second floor. At first, you don't see very much when you enter it. Then you notice a translucent "dome" somewhere in the middle of the room, with changing patterns of light. While guessing what this should be, you'll hear somewhat gurgling noises, and with time you'll notice that this should be an embryo in it's mother's womb.

There are stations where you just have to listen, to sounds from different continents, e.g., or Apollo 11's return to Earth. You put your ear next to one of these devices to hear what's going on there.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The next floor shows famous composers, such as Haydn,
image.jpeg

Johann Strauss Sohn, ...
image.jpeg

You can listen to your own name in Mozart's room:
image.jpeg

Mine would look (and sound) like this, if Mozart had used it for a composition.
Judith tried as well. She thinks her name sounded better than mine. ;)
In Beethoven's part of the exhibition, you'll find these:
image.jpeg

They allow to comprehend the stages of his deafness. It's possible to take these and put them to the ear, to listen to the music - or listen to silence, if it's the last one.
image.jpeg

In one of the rooms, there wasn't much to see, but I enjoyed the music there: it was a modern version of one of Beethoven's compositions.

Part of the stairs leading to the last floor:
image.jpeg

Shortly before you leave the exhibition and enter the shop, you'll find a room where you're allowed to conduct Vienna Philharmonics, or watch others conducting them. Once again, this is a point where mostly children will be found conducting. We had our fun watching them, though, so we stayed there for some time.
The orchestra really is playing at the pace you're showing with an interactive baton. If you're waving it slowly, they'll be playing slowly. If you're fast, they'll play fast - if it's too fast, they'll stop playing, and start complaining. :)
image.jpeg

Before you leave the building, you have to enter the shop (duh!). Among instruments, jewelry, small hand organs playing different tunes, there was a box with a cow printed on it. Judith was curious what this should be and lifted it, which caused it to blow a loud "Mooo!" into the silence of the room. :D
Which proves that she comes after her mother. :)

OP
J. A.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A more quiet exhibition, but certainly worth a visit, or more than one:

Albertina, Vienna

A great opportunity to take a look at paintings and sometimes scultpures, produced by artists such as Miró, Picasso, Monet, Dürer, Rafael and others, is Albertina, just a few minutes from the House of Music.

The stairs to the exhibitions show what to expect - partially:
image.jpeg

There's a constant exhibition, the Batliner collection.

When entering the building, you'll see a sign, indicating that it's not allowed to take photos, which I didn't, until I found others taking pictures in spite of that sign. Supervisory staff obviously didn't have a problem with this, as long as no flash was used, so I started taking photos as well. We were in the statesrooms at that time, our last part of the visit, which means that I didn't take photographs of the most interesting part of our visit. Which also means that they'll see me again, sooner or later. :)

The Batliner collection is not the only exhibition in this building: there are also others that change periodically. In our case, we were able to visit "Drawing Now", a collection of pieces of art which show present-day tendencies.

There was another one, "Abstract art from Austria" which we skipped. We both agreed that we don't understand that kind of art, so it was better not to take a look at the paintings and wondering what they should mean, and what the artists thought when creating their artwork. That's just our opinion, though. There are certainly enough people enjoying this exhibition.

We visited the statesrooms, as last of item our tour through the building. There are also some drawings, like Dürer's "Young Hare", and his "Praying Hands", or Raffaello Santi's "Head of an Apostle".
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Some of the rooms:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Just to show what to expect when visiting Albertina - their website with a few photos of the paintings:
ALBERTINA - Current

And a few details that you'll find when you've bought your tickets and are allowed to enter:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Haus der Musik (House of Music), Vienna

If you love music, this museum is what you need to visit. It's not only about music and composers, it's about everything you're able to hear, about sound in general.

The exhibition is spread across four floors. To access the first floor, you can use these stairs, which are playing a note when you "mount" them (if you're lucky enough and there aren't children stepping up and down the stairs, you're able to do this yourself).
View attachment 67064
Or, as a grown adult, you use the space next to that part playing the notes, and walk up there in dignity, while in your mind lamenting the fact that you're supposed to act generously, not brushing off the children (or trying to convince their parents that running up and down five times is enough), just to try this yourself. ;)

These stairs are a kind of symbol for the whole exhibition. Not only do you see and read, most of all this is meant to experience music - listen, experiment, do. This is an interactive exhibition, and if you try a few things there, you'll have a lot of fun.

The first floor is dedicated to Vienna Philharmonics. Besides the usual things to see, such as this
View attachment 67065
you'll also find a place where you can act as a "composer" by rolling two dices. As expected, this place is mostly occupied by children, so again no chance for my daughter to try it even once (she was waiting for quite a while there). The results sound quite good, so I was listening too for some time.
View attachment 67066
View attachment 67067
It's possible to get the composition in printed form afterwards. All you have to do, is to remember your number, and pay for it. :)

Many of the rooms are dark, and so is the first one on the second floor. At first, you don't see very much when you enter it. Then you notice a translucent "dome" somewhere in the middle of the room, with changing patterns of light. While guessing what this should be, you'll hear somewhat gurgling noises, and with time you'll notice that this should be an embryo in it's mother's womb.

There are stations where you just have to listen, to sounds from different continents, e.g., or Apollo 11's return to Earth. You put your ear next to one of these devices to hear what's going on there.
View attachment 67068
View attachment 67069
View attachment 67070
The next floor shows famous composers, such as Haydn,
View attachment 67071
Johann Strauss Sohn, ...
View attachment 67072
You can listen to your own name in Mozart's room:
View attachment 67073
Mine would look (and sound) like this, if Mozart had used it for a composition.
Judith tried as well. She thinks her name sounded better than mine. ;)
In Beethoven's part of the exhibition, you'll find these:
View attachment 67074
They allow to comprehend the stages of his deafness. It's possible to take these and put them to the ear, to listen to the music - or listen to silence, if it's the last one.
View attachment 67075

In one of the rooms, there wasn't much to see, but I enjoyed the music there: it was a modern version of one of Beethoven's compositions.

Part of the stairs leading to the last floor:
View attachment 67076

Shortly before you leave the exhibition and enter the shop, you'll find a room where you're allowed to conduct Vienna Philharmonics, or watch others conducting them. Once again, this is a point where mostly children will be found conducting. We had our fun watching them, though, so we stayed there for some time.
The orchestra really is playing at the pace you're showing with an interactive baton. If you're waving it slowly, they'll be playing slowly. If you're fast, they'll play fast - if it's too fast, they'll stop playing, and start complaining. :)
View attachment 67077

Before you leave the building, you have to enter the shop (duh!). Among instruments, jewelry, small hand organs playing different tunes, there was a box with a cow printed on it. Judith was curious what this should be and lifted it, which caused it to blow a loud "Mooo!" into the silence of the room. :D
Which proves that she comes after her mother. :)
Certainly one of your best travel posts yet.:)

Most reactions