What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Audiobook keeps starting from the beginning.

Gianormo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to listen to an audiobook I purchased from iTunes using the Music App. I am using an iPad 1 and the latest operating system.

The first audiobook I bought just worked and always started where I left off. This is the second one and it keeps restarting from the beginning, which is a bit annoying because I don't always finish at a chapter break.

The App remembers for a while but if I have listened to a podcast or anything in between it forgets.

Is this a problem with the book?

Is there a specific way I should exit the audiobook to cause it to remember where I left off?

Have I somehow changed the settings? I can't find anything in the settings

Regards

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the book's media kind is not set to Audiobook, it will be treated as a standard music file.

If you sync with iTunes on the computer and the audio book is there, right click on it, choose Get Info, and make sure the Media Kind is set to Audiobook in the Options tab. If not, set it so and sync it back to the iPad.

I don't know of any other way but iTunes to change the media kind, or another reason why your audio book might not work properly.

OP
G

Gianormo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Both iTunes and Music recognise it as an audiobook.

Unlike the previous book I downloaded the book straight to my iPad and not to my desktop computer.

So I synced the iPad ( I don't do this often so it takes some time) and the book is now in iTunes on my desktop. I checked the options, they seemed be correct but I reset it to make sure start from where I left off was set and I then synced the iPad again.

This has not solved the problem. Music only remembers the place as long as I don't use the App to listen to anything else.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry. I'm out of ideas then, other than the usual remedies (which I will post below). I don't think they will help, but it won't hurt to try them.

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,
Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Most reactions

Latest posts