What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Audio Recording

James7285

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

Not sure if this is the right forum or not....

I was wondering if there is any accessory / app combo that would allow the iPad to record audio via a line in.

What I want to be able to do is plug a DJ mixer into the iPad and then to be able to record a mix to it.

I have an app for recording audio but it only works on the built in microphone.

Any ideas?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
James7285 said:
Hello,

Not sure if this is the right forum or not....

I was wondering if there is any accessory / app combo that would allow the iPad to record audio via a line in.

What I want to be able to do is plug a DJ mixer into the iPad and then to be able to record a mix to it.

I have an app for recording audio but it only works on the built in microphone.

Any ideas?

There's a device called iRig that works with AmpliTube. It allows you to plug a guitar in your iPad. If that's possible then you can plug just about anything. Look them up in the app store. Here is a link to their site.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTP3dZEaFhM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

pantaleoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last edited:

pantaleoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iVan said:
That will definitely not work. It's just a splitter to add a second listener.

You're wrong. The headset jack accepts headset with microphone, so it has also a line in contact. The description of the accessory clearly states that you can use it to connect a microphone or as a line in jack: "You can use quality external microphone (mono), or make line in (mono) recording through microphone jack"

OP
J

James7285

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iVan said:
That will definitely not work. It's just a splitter to add a second listener.

You're wrong. The headset jack accepts headset with microphone, so it has also a line in contact. The description of the accessory clearly states that you can use it to connect a microphone or as a line in jack: "You can use quality external microphone (mono), or make line in (mono) recording through microphone jack"

Thanks for the info. My only worry about this device is that it would record in mono... I suppose it's not the end of the world but it would be nice if it did record in stereo.

As for the iRig, so if I got that and plugged the mixer into it, would I be able to record off any app or just with the iRig one?
The app I downloaded is called WavePad. I can't see any options other than recording off the built in mic, but it's possible the iRig or whatever else I used would tie over this default?

Thanks for the help guys

celsius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. My only worry about this device is that it would record in mono... I suppose it's not the end of the world but it would be nice if it did record in stereo.

As for the iRig, so if I got that and plugged the mixer into it, would I be able to record off any app or just with the iRig one?
The app I downloaded is called WavePad. I can't see any options other than recording off the built in mic, but it's possible the iRig or whatever else I used would tie over this default?

Thanks for the help guys
It is unreasonable to expect you can make stereo recordings through the audio jack because of harware limitations.
I see the iRig is connected through the audio jack so it has to be mono only.
There is line in (stereo) capability through the syc port.
If there is any adapter that is connected to the sync port then you can reasonable expect stereo recording.

celsius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is unreasonable to expect stereo recording through the audio jack because of hardware limitations.
The iRig is connected through the audio jack so there is no way you can make stereo recording through that.
The 30-pin sync port has line in (stereo) capability so if there is an adapter that plugs into the sync port you can reasonably expect recording in stereo.

MacVaio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
perhaps you've come to the right place, many friends offer some good ideas, i am here to give a piece of my mind. How about this cool one? It is a tool that record streaming audio. The process is very simple, just follow it exactly.

Hmmm, I think this tool is more computer oriented. Quoting from the page you link:

Streaming Music Recorder is designed to record any sound playing through your computer. With it, you can easily record streaming music, internet radio, online audio from any online sites like YouTube, Yahoo! music, Napster, Imeem.com, BBC radio, AOL radio etc. After you record streaming audio, the file can be converted to your desired format like WAV, MP3, AAC, WMA etc, which are completely compatible with your mobile devices. Streaming Music Recorder is what you are looking for, now you will have no worries about how to record streaming music, as long as you can hear it, you can record it. Do not miss your favorite music, just record it.

Bolds are mine.

I would use a usb powered i/o audio interface thru the iPad camera connection kit. There are cheap ones in the musical market.
From your mixer outs to the interface and to any suitable pro app, Garage Band maybe?

Will investigate on this later, since I don't record my stuff, just play live.

Cheers.

MacTonalverse

horace87st

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have encountered the same problem. I just got the best solution here. Thanks

Sowellca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am interested in whether anyone knows if there is a way to record stereo on the iPad. I have a USB audio interface that works on the iPad. However, I don't currently have a mic to plug in to try it out. I have a guitar and it works well, but I am hesitant to buy a mic just to test this out. My USB audio interface has a guitar jack in and a mic input. I have not seen anything in any of the music apps I've bought so far that suggests the iPad will record stereo. As in perhaps recording guitar while singing into a mic, and being able to record both signals simultaneously. I know that I can record multiple signals on my computer DAW, but I'd like to know if the iPad can do this as well. Then, I would feel confident in buying a mic or having a friend play guitar along with me while recording both of our guitars. I realize I can record multiple tracks, separately, but I'm really asking if anyone knows if the iPad will record multiple (2) tracks simultaneously. Either 2 mono tracks or one stereo track.

marchseventh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I noticed that you guys stoped this topic. I have the same reuest to record audio from both mixer and other devices such as CD player, computer... they are all stero and I have to use the pin 5-6 to record.
And I have tryed connect the pin 5-6, But there is no apps can support to use line-in to record audio signers. The built-in app voice memo doesn't work at all for line-in.

Any advices?

marchseventh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This what I have made the cable via line-in 5-6pin, but there is no app use the line-in port. If you know what apps use the line-in port to record please tell me
DSC02999.JPGDSC03001.JPG

Most reactions

Latest posts