What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Audio Output Jack?

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tried plugging my earbuds into the audio output jack the other day for the first time. The plug fit the jack, but no audio!

Can someone tell me why? (Nope, the audio wasn't muted!)

Added Later: Sorry, I finally decided to look in the manual---and noted that it is a mike jack and not an output. So the question is---if I want higher quality audio than the speakers can provide, how do I do it?

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Normal headsets work just fine plugged in to the iPad socket. Not sure why you're having a problem, most of us listen all the time using 'regular' headsets on the iPad.

However, one possible issue. If your iPad is in a case (I have the Apple iPad case) the headset plug can 'catch' on the case cut-out, thus preventing it being fully inserted. Plus, the plug does need a fairly firm 'push' to get it properly seated.

The mute switch on the iOS 4.2.1 iPad only mutes the 'system' sounds, not regular music - it's useful for stopping the iPad making noises in a meeting or at night - say the arrival of new emails or other (diary) notifications. Please don't take offence at my other suggestions....

I'm sure you've checked the volume control is turned up - if you press and hold the button you'll see a graphic appear on the iPad screen.

Also, do you have the 'Volume Limit' set very low in Settings?

('Settings', 'iPod', 'Volume Limit')

This could be turned all the way down and it only affects the headset, not the speaker.

OK - probably none of this helps, so I apologise in advance - but let us know how you get on...

Tim
Scotland

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim,

Thanks a lot for the info. A simple question usually needs (and has) a simple answer, for sure!

I had thought of the case interference issue, but just hadn't pushed the plug in hard enough---so one of your simple answers worked like a charm for me.

My problem here does bring up an issue, though. When I first opened my iPad, I was a bit upset to find that the "instruction manual" was only a single small card. Now that, to me, is arrogant on the part of Apple: the iPad, they seem to be saying, is so simple this little card suffices.

Then I discovered that they had hidden in fine print the fact that there was an on-line manual. But even that manual failed to cover a number of very fundamental things.

In this case, my aging eyes not being so great, I noticed that there was a microphone jack and decided that that little pin-hole opening must be for some specialized set of headphones only available "through your authorized Apple Dealer."

Such great products, such a miserable attitude!

Agwin, thanks a lot for answering my question, Tim.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My problem here does bring up an issue, though. When I first opened my iPad, I was a bit upset to find that the "instruction manual" was only a single small card. Now that, to me, is arrogant on the part of Apple: the iPad, they seem to be saying, is so simple this little card suffices.
Yes, I agree that this is one of Apple's shortcomings. Their "excuse" was that they assumed (a very dangerous thing to do!) that the majority of iPad owners would already be owners of other mobile devices like the iPhone or iPod Touch and the iPad would be pretty intuitive for these folks.

But c'mon.... even my $20 wireless router came with a CD with the instructions!

But OTOH, if the iPad did come with instructions, we probably wouldn't have over 36,000 members!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,

Thanks a lot for the info. A simple question usually needs (and has) a simple answer, for sure!

I had thought of the case interference issue, but just hadn't pushed the plug in hard enough---so one of your simple answers worked like a charm for me.

Then I discovered that they had hidden in fine print the fact that there was an on-line manual. But even that manual failed to cover a number of very fundamental things.

In this case, my aging eyes not being so great, I noticed that there was a microphone jack and decided that that little pin-hole opening must be for some specialized set of headphones only available "through your authorized Apple Dealer."

Such great products, such a miserable attitude!

Agwin, thanks a lot for answering my question, Tim.

Glad that worked. Yes - as you've discovered - the microphone 'jack' is, in fact, the iPad's microphone....they didn't make them that small when I was a young lad either!!

Have fun with your iPad and don't hesitate to post any further queries you may have - we all love our iPads!!

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions