What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Audio books , iPad mini

Johnty1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
  1. Hi, l am new to apple products this is my first iPad, normally l use a laptop with Bluetooth earphones to listen to audio books as i work around the room, when I try to use the mini iPad with Bluetooth earphones it switchs off after a couple of minutes unless l hold and keep contact with the screen, defeats the object of wireless headphones, is it possible to keep the iPad on while its reading a book ? Thanks jonty

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This should not be happening. Most audio apps will continue to play audio after the iPad's screen goes to sleep.

What app are you using to listen to audio books?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use the Audible app for listening to my audiobooks. It continues to play in the background whatever else I'm doing. The only exception is if I go to a website or use an app, such as YouTube, that also has audio content.

OP
J

Johnty1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This should not be happening. Most audio apps will continue to play audio after the iPad's screen goes to sleep.

What app are you using to listen to audio books?

Hi, l think it's the iBook app, it's the one that's comes pre-loaded with iPad ,I have not downloaded any apps, thanks for your reply

OP
J

Johnty1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the Audible app for listening to my audiobooks. It continues to play in the background whatever else I'm doing. The only exception is if I go to a website or use an app, such as YouTube, that also has audio content.

Hi, thanks for the reply, is the app you use all ready pre-loaded or is it a down loaded app ? Thanks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the reply, is the app you use all ready pre-loaded or is it a down loaded app ? Thanks
The Audible app is developed by Amazon and is a free download in the App Store. Amazon has an Audible store on their website where you can purchase audiobooks. Once purchased, the audiobooks are downloadable to any of your devices at no extra charge. You can also download the audiobooks to any Kindle ebook reader you may own.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, l think it's the iBook app, it's the one that's comes pre-loaded with iPad ,I have not downloaded any apps, thanks for your reply
Audio books in the iBooks app continue to play in the background on my iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmm. In that case it sounds more like it's a Bluetooth rather than an app problem. Could be the iPad, the headphones, or a bit of both. In my experience the reliability bluetooth headphones varies a lot from brand to brand. (my experience being limited to two fairly cheap sets).

Try forgetting and re-pairing the bluetooth headphones in Settings > Bluetooth. Make sure the set is fully charged. Keep an eye on your distance from the iPad when it goes out. Might be a range issue.

OP
J

Johnty1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Audible app is developed by Amazon and is a free download in the App Store. Amazon has an Audible store on their website where you can purchase audiobooks. Once purchased, the audiobooks are downloadable to any of your devices at no extra charge. You can also download the audiobooks to any Kindle ebook reader you may own.[/QUOTE
Hmm. In that case it sounds more like it's a Bluetooth rather than an app problem. Could be the iPad, the headphones, or a bit of both. In my experience the reliability bluetooth headphones varies a lot from brand to brand. (my experience being limited to two fairly cheap sets).

Try forgetting and re-pairing the bluetooth headphones in Settings > Bluetooth. Make sure the set is fully charged. Keep an eye on your distance from the iPad when it goes out. Might be a range issue.

That sounds interesting, the headset is new, a cheap generic no name brand, from the Internet , I bought anew set because the old iTech Bluetooth set would not pair with the iPad though the ipad would discover it, the iTech is a few years old so anew set seemed the way to go. Sometimes one gets what they pay for.
I will try the iPad with plug in ear phones and see what happens while sourcing a branded set, Thanh you very much for your help, l would never thought of earphones as they are new

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Disclaimer: I didn't say it 'was' the earphones. I just suggested it might be. Please don't hit me if the new ones don't work either.

OP
J

Johnty1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Disclaimer: I didn't say it 'was' the earphones. I just suggested it might be. Please don't hit me if the new ones don't work either.
Hi, no I realise you only suggested that it may be the earphones as part of your diagnostic work through, what I should have mentioned after your alert I then tried them on my mobile phone with music and sure enough after a couple of minutes it would shut down, l tried it several times with the same result, i have learned a lot from this thread,

Most reactions

Latest posts